Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Importing 2020 Tax Return

I started a new 2021 tax return in TurboTax Business. We are a multi-member LLC. I imported the 2020 tax return file (not PDF), and everything successfully imported except for the members. We have 5 members, and only 1 member was imported. All of the information for the one member that was imported is correct. I cant add the missing members because it treats them as new, and starts their capital accounts at 0. If I add them I cant manually change their capital accounts (not even in forms view). Is this a known issue, and if so is there a planned fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify: Have you tried re-importing your 2020 return into a new 2021 return? Occasionally the import process is interrupted and not all data is captured. 

Recommended steps:

1. Close TurboTax Business
  2. Reopen and allow any updates to run
  3. Reopen TurboTax if necessary
  4. Start a new Tax Return >> Begin
  5. Choose your 2020 tax return & click "Transfer Return"
  6. Wait for confirmation that Transfer is Complete
  7. Save with new filename.
  8. Close TurboTax
  9. Reopen and check Member Summary under Partner/Member Information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Patricia:

Thank you for your reply. I executed the steps exactly as outlined. What is interesting is that when I opened the newly saved file it was opened using TurboTax Premier. I also have TurboTax Premier installed because that is what I use for my personal tax return. Do I need to uninstall the Premier version until I complete my business return?

Regards,

Andrew

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Not necessarily. When you have more than one version of TurboTax installed on your computer, it's best to open TurboTax first, then choose the return to work on. By default, a .tax2021 file would open with TurboTax 1040, not Business. So you would need to have TurboTax Business running before you open your business return.

If it opened in personal Premier you must have clicked on the wrong .tax file.  Both the Business program and personal programs use the same file extension like .tax2020 and .tax2021.  The personal programs can not open a business return and visa versa.  

Patricia>

I opened the new file from within the TurboTax 2021 software (as opposed to by file extension) and I still have the same issue. Here is what I see in the member tab:

Any Member Changes?

You transferred member information from your 2020 return and the total ownership percentage equals 25.00000%.

You will need to make changes in this area only to:

Enter Capital Contributions or distributions

Change Members Entity Type

Change Member Name or Address

Add a Member

Indicate a final year for a member

The information for the one member imported is correct. Balance sheet items in the partner capital section imported correctly. I opened my 2020 tax file and all members are there with correct percentages and capital accounts. 

I can´t create an accurate 2021 return at the moment since partner data is missing, and without partner data a partnership return is useless.

Thanks

Andrew

Patricia:

I have tried everything including reinstalling TT Business 2020, saving a new copy of that return, reinstalling TT 2021 and opening the new 2020 return and I find myself in the exact same place. Do you know of a Tech Support contact I can engage at Intuit? I spoke with a support person at the TT 800 support number but she really wasn´t familiar with the business version of the software. She did check some type of 'support' database and mentioned that some others had reported similar import problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

@Andrewtabor

I've been unable to reproduce this experience importing 2020 to 2021. It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file to further test your import experience.

If you would be willing to send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information, here are the instructions: 

Open your 2020 business return in TurboTax Business 2020 and go to Online in the header. 

1. Choose Send Tax File to Agent.
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click Send on this screen and wait for the Token number to appear. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number.  

This diagnostic copy (numbers only; no personal info) of your tax file will allow us to see the same experience you are having. If we are able to determine the cause, we'll reply here and provide you with a resolution. 

Patricia:

I have sent the file. The token number I received is 926473. Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Andrew

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Thanks for this info. If we find a solution, we'll post it here.

Patricia:

Have there been any updates on this issue? We are getting close to 3/15 filing deadline and I will need to determine if I need to apply for an extension. Again thanks for your help.

Regards,

Andrew

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Andrew - Your 2020 file looked fine. We're currently reviewing your experience and hope to have an answer soon.

Patricia:

Thank you. I agree the 2020 file is good. It´s when I import into the 2021 software that I lose 4 members.

Thanks for your pursuit on my behalf.

Regards,

Andrew

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please review all Schedules K-1 in your 2020 return using Forms Mode. On the diagnostic return we received, four are marked "Final K-1" at the top. Uncheck those boxes, save the return, and import to 2021 again. All five partners should transfer correctly.

Patricia:

Thank you that makes sense. I will try that now. 

Regards,

Andrew

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies