Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IL mailed me. Said I didn't submit paperwork and wouldn't be getting my return. I filled through Turbo and now they wont answer me. They should pay me my refund, yes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

IL mailed me. Said I didn't submit paperwork and wouldn't be getting my return. I filled through Turbo and now they wont answer me. They should pay me my refund, yes?

No. You alone are responsible for ensuring your Self-Prepared returns are Submitted and Accepted for processing. TurboTax provides the software to help you prepare, and sends you an e-mail confirming acceptance for e-file processing, or rejection of Your attempt. If you printed/mailed return, tracking depends on how you mailed. So what exactly did You do, When, and what do you expect next?

Anonymous
Not applicable

paperwork is a very broad term.  so what exactly does Il say you didn't submit? 

No? I paid for the service, paid to FILE ONLINE ,through them, turbo tax then told me it was ACCEPTED. Now IL told me the w-2s were not submitted and I would not receive a refund. So, if turbo tax doesn't refund me, then what am I paying for when I use them? The POSSIBILITY they will correctly submit my taxes so I get the money I am owed?

What IL may be saying to you is that your EMPLOYER did not submit your W-2's to the state.  They want to match what your tax return says with the information from the employer that is on your W-2.  If you used TurboTax and prepared a federal return--which you clearly had to do in order to e-file IL-- then your income information flowed from what YOU entered on your federal return to the IL return.   When you prepared your federal return you had to enter your W-2 (s) and check your entries for accuracy before filing.  "Accepted" does not mean accurate or complete-- it only means you had enough information on the return for the IRS/state to take it for processing.  

If IL wants copies of your W-2's, then provide them to the state.  You did save them for your own records, right?  If you did not, then ask the employer for new copies -- and ask your employer if they submitted them to the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why not just do the pragmatic thing and send the state your W2s through the mail along with a paper copy of your return? It doesn't seem like TurboTax would be responsible for things the state does after the return is accepted.

Because the IL letter stated it was too late, and that I will simply not be receiving my refund
TomD8
Level 15

Did you receive a previous letter from IL, with a deadline to reply?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I move around a fair bit.....think I missed one of these?

It seems odd that the state would not refund money owed to you based on a current year return that is late or needs revision, unless penalties and interest would consume any amount that would be refunded. If the refund is for several years prior, then it is possible to exceed a statutory limit.

Perhaps ask the state what statute allows them to keep your refund so that you can see the exact wording they are basing their response on. They are obligated to do so.

TomD8
Level 15

"I move around a fair bit.....think I missed one of these?"

You might have.  In my experience, when Illinois sends a letter requesting additional information or paperwork, the taxpayer is given a deadline by which to reply.  If Illinois receives no response by the deadline date, they will proceed with whatever they were proposing to do.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you! Will do!

(  Removed  my own post because I missed some information already posted....my mistake )

But still...was this for the 2018 tax year?  or some other year ?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Carl
Level 15

Sounds like a scam to me. If they are saying you're not getting your refund, then if they never received your return how to they know for an indisputable fact that you are "in fact" getting a refund? How do they know you don't owe the state more tax money?

Also keep in mind it is a weekend and nobody at the state is even there to answer the phone on weekends.

Carl
Level 15

TurboTax can not, and will not submit any paperwork to any taxing authority on behalf of any tax filer for any reason. There are no exceptions. If you submitted your return electronically and you have the e-mail proving that the state accepted it, then simply print out your tax return and mail it to the state along with your W-2's and a copy of the e-mail proving that the state accepted it before the filing deadline. That will cancel out any late filing fees that would otherwise be assessed.

When you mail the return to the state, make sure you send it certified mail, return receipt *REQUIRED* (not requested). That will be your only proof that the state actually physically received what you mail to them. Also make sure you mail it to the correct address. If you mail a state return to the IRS, or if you mail your federal return to the state, then it just goes straight to the shredder.  Remember, when dealing with taxes there are three golden rules.

- You are guilty until proven innocent.

- The burden of proof is on the accused (that's you!) and not the accuser.

- If it's not in writing, then it did not occur.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies