turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to enter my 1099-int and turbo tax is asking for a tracking ID (24 characters) on the bottom of my tax statement. There is no number like this on there. advise

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Trying to enter my 1099-int and turbo tax is asking for a tracking ID (24 characters) on the bottom of my tax statement. There is no number like this on there. advise

If your statement does not have a tracking number, enter it manually. (not all forms do)

harrybar

here does one get this 24 digit tracking number???

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

When you are trying to import information directly from a financial institution or brokerage for your interest or dividends and stock sales, each company has different requirements to follow to access the information from them and have it imported into TurboTax. 

When you select the financial institution, there will be information on your TurboTax screen telling you what information you will need to provide to initiate the import and where to find it.  The 'tracking number' being referenced in the questions above refer to one specific financial institutions instructions.  The tracking number is probably shown somewhere on the physical paper form that was received from that company.  The specific details will be onscreen for your particular financial institution.

@harrybar

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The response given is worthless. The question is the same problem I am having there is NO 24 DIGIT # on the 1099NT from my bank. Need to know how to override this situation?????

There is NO listing for on my 1099-int for a 24 character tracking number. The response is not helpful.

Just enter the 1099 manually.  Should be pretty easy and faster than trying to import it.  Don't enter the bank or broker.  Scroll down and pick  I'll type it in myself.

Jamesdr93

Please do not answer on these questions anymore. Your long-winded response was completely useless and just is more frustrating. And you have the gall to call yourself an expert too. 

PBRSR

My 1099intdoes not show a 24 number account # ony 20 please advise

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

This is not a familiar request for the Form 1099-INT.  The only information required is the financial institution or payer name and the amount of interest. An account number is not required.

You should delete the interest income for this statement and then enter it manually or select I'll enter myself to eliminate this experience.

tickler11

Trying to enter my 1099-int and turbo tax is asking for a tracking ID (24 characters. . .

can't seem to find it.  Thank you.  

Don't enter the bank name and don't try to import it.  It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

You shouldn't need to enter an EIN or address.  Just enter the name.

Don't enter the bank or broker name and don't try to import it.  It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick -  Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

HOLUBIW

the answer is always the same.  we are being told to enter info manually if you cant find code.

The reason that we do not want to enter it manually is because the information is not always easy to decipher so one does not know how to enter it manually.  I talked to Edward Jones and they said there is no 24 character code.  They have no idea what is meant by this that Turbo Tax keeps asking for.  they do not require this code so why does turbo tax???????

ovtomato

I am having the same problem, I have a brokerage account with 7 different accounts at Edward Jones Trust Company. When I try to import so all of the information automatically goes where it should TT asks for a 24 character Tracking Number. There is no such number on any of my forms from EJ. I know I used import last year with my account number and password. Why not this year?

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

At this point the quickest thing to do is manually enter it.  You can also try to upload as a PDF or snap a picture if that is easier for you. 

Another option is to just try the 9-digit tax payer ID number and see if that allows you to continue. If not post a screenshot of the page where it is asking for your 24 digit code. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies