turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question regarding how to handle a $20,000 gift

My husbands grandmother was put in a nursing home and since her children were on the deed they decided to sell the house and they would split the proceeds evenly. However, my husbands father (his grandmas son) is deceased and his grandmas will states (even though she is still alive) that his fathers portion should be split between his children (my husband and his sister). This occurred but the money was given to my husbands mother first and then she wrote out a $20,000 check for my husband and his sister. How does this impact my federal and state tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

A gift received from an individual is not reported on a tax return, regardless of the amount received.

The individual giving the gift does not report the gift given on a tax return.  If the gift given is greater than $14,000 to a single individual in a year then the giver of the gift has to report the gift given on an IRS Form 709 United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return

If your mother "wrote out a check" for $20,000 to two people as you wrote, there is no need to File or report the Gift on Form 709.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies