Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to report a w2 with no income but an amount in box 12a with initial J - or can I put $1 in box 1 so I can e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Do I have to report a w2 with no income but an amount in box 12a with initial J - or can I put $1 in box 1 so I can e-file?

No, you do not need to include your W-2 with your taxes.  With a code J in box 12, it reflects your short term disability benefits as a nontaxable sick pay event.  Therefore, it is not taxable and nothing needs to be reported.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not need to include your W-2 with your taxes.  With a code J in box 12, it reflects your short term disability benefits as a nontaxable sick pay event.  Therefore, it is not taxable and nothing needs to be reported.

If you want to EFile, do NOT put any amount in the W2. Instead, just report $1.00 of interest. It will achieve the same result.
MD80
Level 1

if i skip adding this W2, is there a way to claim the excess FICA tax withholding resulting from this W2? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies