turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nbke6w4

Why am I completing a schedule c. I was paid for doing several product demonstrations for a company. They paid OOP costs. I was not an employee of the company

Federal review  is asking about Schedlule C    Material paraticipation

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Why am I completing a schedule c. I was paid for doing several product demonstrations for a company. They paid OOP costs. I was not an employee of the company

If you received a W-2 with the "statutory employee" box checked, or a 1099-MISC or if you were paid in cash, then as far as the IRS is concerned, you earned that money while self-employed and in business for yourself. Self-employment income is reported on SCH C as a part of your personal 1040 tax return.

If you are not an employee, then you are an independent contractor.  

An independent contractor reports their income on Schedule C.  In order to determine what type of income you had on schedule C it asks you if you materially participated. 

If you were doing demonstrations to earn this money, then you will answer yes to did you materially participate. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies