turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joshn101

I have a 1099-MISC for both prize money and competition travel compensation. "Check this entry" keeps coming up telling me to fill out box 7 schedule C. What do I do?

It directs me to go to "federal" and then "wages  and income" and tells me to select "income from form 1099-Misc" and to complete all the info in that area. I'm confused because I have already filled out everything in that area that shows up when I follow those steps. Please help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099-MISC for both prize money and competition travel compensation. "Check this entry" keeps coming up telling me to fill out box 7 schedule C. What do I do?

If you received a 1099-Misc with an Amount in Box 7, this is considered Self-Employment Income, which is reported on Schedule C.

However, if this is a one-time payment and you are not Self-Employed, when you enter your 1099-Misc, choose 'not like my main job' (screenshot) and 'no intent to make money' (screenshot).

This will make the 1099-Misc amount taxable as 'Other Income' instead of 'Self-Employment Income'.

Type '1099misc' in the Search window, then 'Jump to 1099misc' to EDIT your Entry on the 1099-Misc Summary Page (screenshot).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies