turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS says we owe $7347 because of something to do with Excess Social Security and RRT tax withheld. What is this and why do we owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS says we owe $7347 because of something to do with Excess Social Security and RRT tax withheld. What is this and why do we owe?

Look at line 71 of your tax return.  If there is an amount there, then you claimed to have paid excess Social Security.  That could happen when you enter all of the W-2 income under only one name on a joint return.  The IRS refunds the “excess” Social Security.  Now they have matched your W-2’s to the return and they want that money back.

Check the worksheets from your tax return to see if you entered all of the W-2 income for both spouses under only one of the names on a joint return.  That is the most common reason for this problem.  Unfortunately, it is user error.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Look at line 71 of your tax return.  If there is an amount there, then you claimed to have paid excess Social Security.  That could happen when you enter all of the W-2 income under only one name on a joint return.  The IRS refunds the “excess” Social Security.  Now they have matched your W-2’s to the return and they want that money back.

Check the worksheets from your tax return to see if you entered all of the W-2 income for both spouses under only one of the names on a joint return.  That is the most common reason for this problem.  Unfortunately, it is user error.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks - how do I go about fixing it?  All the information in our tax return was auto-populated by turbotax online.

Alas....the way to fix it is to pay the IRS the excess money you got back.  You are supposed to check your tax return before you submit it.  As you entered income information there were multiple screens alerting you to enter the income under each name.

The information was added as instructed by Turbotax online and auto-populated and guaranteed accurate.  I do not recall screens alerting me to enter information under each name.  I certainly did not sum up both of our W2 information and enter in Turbotax.  I do recall entering my W2 income where asked, and then entering my wife's where asked.  The turbotax program did the rest.
So the question now is; if I did enter them seperately, would the result be the same?  I did purchase Turbotax premier and would like to discuss with someone.  Is there a phone number I can call?

@Critter#2  I know you have some good screen shots--could you share those, please?

If you purchased Audit Defense:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited">h...>

If all of the income is shown under only one of the names, then any amount withheld for Social Security more than $7347 is "excess" Social Security tax and you get it back as part of your refund.  If the SS is entered correctly under two separate names, it will not show up on line 71 as excess SS to be refunded to you.  What does line 71 show on your 1040?

To call TurboTax customer support
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
They are available Monday-Friday from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

@fsielatycki Was this for your 2015 return?  A number of people have been getting letters from the IRS for this error they made on their 2015 returns. The other concern is if you did this on your 2016 return as well.  Check your  2016 return and see if it happened on that one too.  If so, you will get a letter about 2016 when they catch it.

Did you file a joint tax return, and you both had W-2s? What probably happened is that you entered your W-2 and your spouse's W-2 as if they were for the same person, instead of one for you and one for your spouse. When you first start to enter a W-2 in a joint return, you have to indicate whose W-2 it is. The W-2 summary screen ("Here's your W-2 info") shows which one of you each W-2 was entered for. The program alerts you of the excess if this happened and asks you to verify that the W-2s are entered correctly. If you don't make the correction at that point then sadly the error is yours. See screen shot for what the warning screen looks like.

You both had Social Security tax withheld from your pay. The maximum Social Security withholding has to be calculated separately for each person. When you enter both W-2s as if they were for the same person, it makes it look like that person had too much Social Security tax withheld. The amount that appears to be excess Social Security tax goes on 1040 line 71. If you had entered each W-2 for the correct person, TurboTax would have seen that there was no excess Social Security tax, and it would not have put anything on line 71.

You received a refund of the excess Social Security tax shown on line 71 of your tax return. But because of the error entering the W-2s, it was not really excess and you were not entitled to that refund. So now you have to pay it back.

And you better check your 2016  return line 71 and see if it happened again.  If you transferred from 2015  it would still be wrong.  Then for next year 2017 better not transfer or delete all the w2s and enter them as new ones to keep the error from continuing.

Another less common error on the box 12 of the W-2 ... also a date entry error by the user which the program would not consider it an error and would not flag it ...  check your box 12 on each actual W-2 form in your tax file:   a code "A" or code "M" with a $$ amount may also affect your line 71 value.

@Critter#2 Thank you!

Thanks - Is there a way I can go and see what was entered in that screen for my 2015 returns?  I can't seem to navigate to where information was entered in the screens in 2015.

Do you have the 2015 program installed?  You need to have the 2015 program and your tax file ending in .tax2015 to see the entries.

We did it on-line.  Is there a way to get download it since we paid in 2015?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies