turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbenn1981

What to do for HCTC submission error?

In error, I filed submission for the Health Coverage Tax Credit for my 2017 taxes.  This credit only amounted to $1 dollar more toward my refund amount.  I'm being asked to mail in additional forms/information.  I am not claiming the credit.  I've printed and filled out from 8453 as instructed. On that form, I've noted that I'm not claiming the credit and that my actual refund should be $1 dollar lower.  In the letter I drafted to the IRS, I've also noted this too.  Will I have to file and amended return, will it delay my refund for this error or is what I've done sufficient?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have received a letter from the IRS, then you need to do exactly what the IRS says - amend, not amend, complete a form, provide an explanation, whatever.

In your case, my guess is that they wanted some supporting data for the HCTC. But you didn't mean to claim this credit. 

In the letter explaining that you did not intend to take that credit, ask the IRS if they will amend your return to remove that form and credit. If they see that the difference is $1 as you say, they might agree to do that and save some time. But if they come back and say "please amend your return", then you'll have to do that - but give them the chance to do the correction, since they have the power to do so.

Again, I can't see the letter you have received, but from the description, your tax return processing and your refund is being held up until this matter is cleared up - another reason to give them the option of just correcting your return for you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you have received a letter from the IRS, then you need to do exactly what the IRS says - amend, not amend, complete a form, provide an explanation, whatever.

In your case, my guess is that they wanted some supporting data for the HCTC. But you didn't mean to claim this credit. 

In the letter explaining that you did not intend to take that credit, ask the IRS if they will amend your return to remove that form and credit. If they see that the difference is $1 as you say, they might agree to do that and save some time. But if they come back and say "please amend your return", then you'll have to do that - but give them the chance to do the correction, since they have the power to do so.

Again, I can't see the letter you have received, but from the description, your tax return processing and your refund is being held up until this matter is cleared up - another reason to give them the option of just correcting your return for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies