Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file this form on line? Chris has a child support issue,and it is not my responsibility. I filed this form last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

How do I file this form on line? Chris has a child support issue,and it is not my responsibility. I filed this form last year.

If you file Married Filing Jointly, you need to include Form 8379, Injured Spouse Form so that the IRS does not use your refund towards your Husband's back child support.  By filing this form, your portion of the refund will not be used to pay the back child support.

You are considered the "Injured Spouse" because you are not liable for your Husband's back child support.

Please follow these instructions to complete Form 8379 in TurboTax:

• Login to your TurboTax Account 
  • Select "Take Me To My Return"
  • Click "Search" in the upper right corner, then type "Injured Spouse" in the Search Box 
  • When the results populate, click the "Jump to Link"
  • Click "Yes" where it asks "Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief?
  • From here TurboTax will walk you through preparing an Injured Spouse Form 8379

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

If you file Married Filing Jointly, you need to include Form 8379, Injured Spouse Form so that the IRS does not use your refund towards your Husband's back child support.  By filing this form, your portion of the refund will not be used to pay the back child support.

You are considered the "Injured Spouse" because you are not liable for your Husband's back child support.

Please follow these instructions to complete Form 8379 in TurboTax:

• Login to your TurboTax Account 
  • Select "Take Me To My Return"
  • Click "Search" in the upper right corner, then type "Injured Spouse" in the Search Box 
  • When the results populate, click the "Jump to Link"
  • Click "Yes" where it asks "Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief?
  • From here TurboTax will walk you through preparing an Injured Spouse Form 8379
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies