turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Every other year my daughters father and I switch claiming her on our taxes. This is the first year I've claimed her, they keep refusing my refund but I don't have her

This year I don't have her as a dependent but it still won't let me file my taxes because I have her name in my tax return. Do I have to file single and take her off my taxes completely in order to file?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Every other year my daughters father and I switch claiming her on our taxes. This is the first year I've claimed her, they keep refusing my refund but I don't have her

If you are the custodial parent who the child lived with more than half the year, you can claim her as a qualifying child for EIC and child care credit even if the other spouse is claiming the dependency exemption. The status shown for the child in Personal Info would be "non dependent for EIC/child care only". If this is the status shown and that is correct for you as the custodial parent and your return is being rejected, then the other parent may be claiming that he or she is the custodial parent and claiming all of the child tax benefits. If he or she should not have claimed all the child tax benefits, you can leave your return the way it is but you will have to print and mail it to get it accepted. 

If you are not the custodial parent and the other parent is claiming the dependency exemption and all the other child tax benefits, the child should be deleted from your tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are the custodial parent who the child lived with more than half the year, you can claim her as a qualifying child for EIC and child care credit even if the other spouse is claiming the dependency exemption. The status shown for the child in Personal Info would be "non dependent for EIC/child care only". If this is the status shown and that is correct for you as the custodial parent and your return is being rejected, then the other parent may be claiming that he or she is the custodial parent and claiming all of the child tax benefits. If he or she should not have claimed all the child tax benefits, you can leave your return the way it is but you will have to print and mail it to get it accepted. 

If you are not the custodial parent and the other parent is claiming the dependency exemption and all the other child tax benefits, the child should be deleted from your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies