turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djpete714

I currently have DACA status, Am i considered nonresident alien or resident alien?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
GeoffreyG

I currently have DACA status, Am i considered nonresident alien or resident alien?

If you are currently in the DACA program (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), then you would have had to be physically present in the United States (indeed for at least several years), which is more than long enough for you to obtain resident alien status under the law.  In other words, you are definitely not a nonresident alien for income tax purposes, if you were granted DACA status.

Instead, if you do not (yet) have US citizenship status, then you should instead consider yourself a resident alien for tax purposes.  As such, you are subject to the same US income tax reporting rules and laws as are full US citizens.  In fact, for income tax purposes, you will treat yourself no differently, and you should file the same Form 1040 (or 1040A or 1040EZ) that everyone else does, provided they are US citizens or resident aliens.  Nonresident aliens have a different set of tax forms and requirements; but resident aliens are generally treated for tax purposes like US citizens (and use the same tax forms).

Thank you for asking this important question.

Does this also mean that as a DACA recipient we would be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit?

Javan

If a DACA recipient is married to a US citizen, can they file taxes married jointly? or do they have to file married but seperate?

thank you 

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You can file married filing jointly if you are married to a US citizen

I assume that you have been in the US for at least several years so you would be considered a resident alien. You will use your social security number on the tax return, not your ITIN number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I done it jointly with my wife who is a US Citizen. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Great.  You can file jointly since married to a US citizen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies