Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

Actually, AFTER being accepted, I received a rejection 6 hours later.  I received an email and a text saying ACCEPTED only to be followed by REJECTED. What to do now--I do not know. 

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

That sounds unlikely.   Were you confused by the first email that told you that your return had been submitted?

Did you e-file?  Did you click a big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

You received an email that we cannot see that tells you why your tax return was rejected.  

Some rejected returns can be fixed and re-filed.  Some have “un-fixable” reasons for the rejection and have to be mailed instead. What is the rejection code or rejection message? 

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2019 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2019 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

Or—-if you filed as a “non-filer” just to get the stimulus check on a 2019 return, try using $1 as the AGI.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What is the phone number you used?

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Although this message may be directed to a specific user in the thread, just for reference, you may find contact information for the IRS here @Robert E21.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My girlfriend filed last year thru hrb. Everything went thru, accepted first try. Got her refund info.....then nothing for a year and a half. Called hrb, they were stumped. Nothing showing up. Called IRS and got the run around. After about a year in we find out she is being investigated for fraud. Her employer didn't send in his paper work until AFTER she filed her taxes. I would definitely look into that. 

Well what I have realized by my own personal experience with Turbotax is that when you e-file your return you get a "Yay, your refund is accepted!" email.  But then like 2 hours later, you get another email whether or not the IRS accepted your refund, or if they rejected your refund. Then from there Turbotax will give you the opportunity to go ahead and fix the issues as to why it was rejected. This happens until you finally receive that email congratulating you because the IRS had finally accepted your return.

But until you receive that email, you are not "technically" - accepted by the IRS- meaning you are only accepted by TurboTax.

Could the rejection refer to your State return?

@powerispersuasion 

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted. 

The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected. 

If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies