Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dedelury

If Turbo Tax I get another file identical in name except the second file name includes a tilde character before its file name. What is this second file and do I need it?

If Turbo Tax I get another file identical in name except the second file name includes a tilde character before its file name. What is this second file and do I need it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The ~ is a tilde file.   Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted.  But this year Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes.  Then you can go back.  Just ignore them.

This FAQ talks about the Tilde files,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2588795-error-102345-or-error-1932147737-occurs-while-opening-a-ta...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The ~ is a tilde file.   Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted.  But this year Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes.  Then you can go back.  Just ignore them.

This FAQ talks about the Tilde files,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2588795-error-102345-or-error-1932147737-occurs-while-opening-a-ta...

Very thankful for this timely feature. Not sure what happened but I had been using TurboTax 2020 for Windows without any problems, then TurboTax crashed. When I restarted Windows, I started getting the "activate your product" nag screen whenever I restarted TurboTax. I had entered the activation code couple of days earlier and had no problems. Unfortunately I am working remotely and do not have access to the activation code that came with the installation disc.

I opened restore point (saw that the most recent one was for "install turbotax wcaiper") and used the earlier restore point "install turbotax". When windows restarted, TurboTax opened just like it had just been installed and activated, and I was able to search for the tax return in progress.  Unfortunately, the normally named file was from a day earlier (prior to data entry). I saw a file with the normal name preceded by a ~ (tilde) with the time date stamp close to the time of the program crash and opened it with TurboTax--thankfully the tilde file had been created just prior to the crash and I was able to get the return up and running. I had to do remove the normally named file, then I used the "save as" and removed the tilde from the default name.

Again, very thankful for this functionality. Have been using TurboTax since the early 90s and had never had TurboTax crash on me.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies