Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do you pay for penalties when the calculation was wrong

The calculation for Social  security tax was wrong
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Are you saying the IRS changed the amount of taxable Social Security on your tax return?

Did the IRS change anything else on your tax return?  If so, THAT is why the amount of taxable Social Security was changed.

If the IRS says more of your SS is taxable it might be because they changed and increased some other income on your return.  Read the letter again.  A common change is they increased the taxable amount of any 1099R you got for Pensions, and 401k or IRA withdrawals or conversions.

And if you reported your pension or IRA on the wrong line the IRS will miss it and say you didn't report it.  I would check for those.  IRAs go on 1040 line 15 (1040A line 11) and Pensions and 401k go on 1040 line 16 (1040A line 12).

The irs changed the amount of taxable social security that was calculated with turbo tax. That was the only change in our tax return.

When you entered your social security benefit in TurboTax, did you enter the full amount from box 5 of your SSA-1099 in TurboTax? Some filers think they need to calculate the taxable amount and enter that into TurboTax. TurboTax does the calculation based on the full amount and the total amount of other income.

Did you make a data entry error when keying in the SSA-1099?

My numbers all coincided with the irs. I spent an hour on the phone with the and that was the only change in our tax return. The calculation was off by$5000.

Please contact TT Support for assistance:

If you're using TurboTax Online:

1. Start by signing in to your account (if you aren't already). Why do I need to sign in?
  2. Click Contact in the upper-right corner of your screen.
  3. Ask your question, and then:
    • Post it to our community of experts; or
    • Talk one-on-one with a live TurboTax Expert, CPA, or enrolled agent (requires the PLUS add-on if using Federal Free Edition).

If you're using the TurboTax CD/Download software or can't sign into your account, click here to contact us. Ask your question, click Continue, and follow our onscreen instructions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies