turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my son's non-earned income child portion of my SSDI have to be reported for tax purposes? If so, can it be on my return or does he have to file his own return?

I am 59 and my son is 15. I am disabled and get SSD. My son gets 50% of mine as the dependent share. For both of us it is the only source of income. My wife works and receives earned income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does my son's non-earned income child portion of my SSDI have to be reported for tax purposes? If so, can it be on my return or does he have to file his own return?

It comes to him in his name and his ssn?  No.  If that is the only income he has it is not taxable and he doesn't have to file a return for it.  It does not go on your return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It comes to him in his name and his ssn?  No.  If that is the only income he has it is not taxable and he doesn't have to file a return for it.  It does not go on your return.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Social security payments to children.

If the Social Security (SS) payments, including SS disability, were under his/her SS number (as they usually are), it does not get reported on your return. If it does need to be reported, it would go on his/her individual return. If that was his/her only income, it does not get reported at all. He does not need to file a tax return. 

SS is only taxable & reportable when added to sufficient other income. Social security only  becomes taxable, when his income, including 1/2 his social security, reaches $25,000

If my wife and I file a joint tax return and he is a dependent on our return, would his SSD payment be lumped in with my wife's earned income and it bumps it up passed that threshold, does it then become taxable?

No.  You do not report his income on your return.  If that is the only income he has then he does not have to file and nobody reports it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies