turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alexavc11

If my return got sent back to me, will I be charged a penalty for returning my completed tax return after the 4/18/16 deadline?

I sent in my return before the deadline, but it got sent back to me because I forgot to sign it. If I sent back the signed (amended) return after the 4/18/16 deadline, will I be charged a penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If my return got sent back to me, will I be charged a penalty for returning my completed tax return after the 4/18/16 deadline?

If your original tax return that was mailed to the IRS was sent back because it was unsigned, you just sign and date the return and mail it back to the IRS.  An amended return is only used if the original return was accepted by the IRS and the original return has to be changed.  Your original return was never accepted by the IRS since it was unsigned.

If your return has a tax refund there is no penalty for filing a return with a tax refund after the due date.

If your return has taxes owed, then there will be a late payment penalty along with interest on the unpaid taxes.

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

When this happened to me they included a form advising that it was returned for signature.  When you send it back, make sure you include that form so it's clear it was already filed.

Thanks for this information. I will be aware of it when I get the my return back from the irs...
Cariebbb1
Returning Member

I filed my taxes January 2019 I had to amend them which I found out through a tax advocate that I had to do so it shows online that my amended return was accepted April 2020 now we are in January 2020 the lady from the IRS told me that my money was supposed to be posted but she sees that my amended return got sent back to me probably because of a signature I was wondering am I going to have to wait as long to receive my money because of my signature or would my tax advocate person be able to help me get it quicker..

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend contacting your tax advocate. 

They will be able to assist you as they will have access to more information as it relates directly to your specific tax return and situation.

Tax advocate services

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies