turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sydkoep

If made $13,000 last year. I am 22, a full time college student, and my parents paid more than 1/2 my expenses. Turbotax is saying I owe $800, and I'm not sure why?

I have never had to pay in taxes before. Last year my parents claimed me and I made $7,000 and I ended up getting money back.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

If made $13,000 last year. I am 22, a full time college student, and my parents paid more than 1/2 my expenses. Turbotax is saying I owe $800, and I'm not sure why?

Based on what you stated, I agree.

There are three factors that will determine the size of your refund (or what you owe).

1. The total amount of income that you have.
  2. The amount you had withheld from your wages.
  3. Whether you qualify for certain tax credits.

Your income determines the amount of tax you owe.  This not only includes your wages, but also any other type of income you may have had.  Identify any other income you may have had.   . Based on criteria established by the IRS there are tables that determine the amount of tax that you owe.  Double check your income entries and make sure they are correct.

The amount you had withheld generally come from your W-2 income; however, taxes can be withheld from other forms of income.  If the taxes withheld is more than what you owe you will get a refund.  If not, you will owe money.  Again, double check your entries and be sure they are correct.

You can subtract Tax Credits from the amount of tax you owe.   Here are some common Credits:  

If you look on your tax return FORM 1040 you can check these entries.

• Line 19 Child Tax Credit
  • Line 27 Earned Income Credit
  • Line 28 Additional Tax Child Tax Credit
  • Line 29 American Opportunity Credit (For College)
  • Line 30 Recovery Rebate Credit
  • You also may have had more taxes withheld on your income.

Compare your tax credits to what you had last year.  This is the most likely place for a large amount to be.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sydkoep

Thanks John! I have double checked all of my information and it is still saying I owe $800. I have the most amount of taxes taken out of my paychecks, am 22 years old, a full-time student, and my parents claim me as a dependent. Like I said perviously, I have never had any issues with this before, and am just confused at why this year it's so much different! 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, For 2020, he standard deduction amount for an individual who may be claimed as dependent cannot exceed the greater of $1,100 or the sum of $350 and the individual's earned income not to exceed the regular standard deduction.  If your parents claimed you as dependent on their 2020 income tax return, you  may only enter $1,100 as your 2020 standard deduction.

For example, if income was $13,000, then your standard deduction  as a dependent was $1,100.

• Adjusted Gross income                                    $13,000
  • Less:  Standard Deduction                                   1,100
  • Taxable Income                                                   11,900
kellyinau

I am curious about this also.  Our son is a full time college student, but had earned income of $15,000 in 2020.  We are claiming him on our taxes as a dependent.  When preparing his tax return, I checked that he can be claimed as dependent on someone else's return I said yes.  However, it is applying the standard deduction of $12,400 and I don't this is correct?  Thoughts????  

@kellyinau wrote:

I am curious about this also.  Our son is a full time college student, but had earned income of $15,000 in 2020.  We are claiming him on our taxes as a dependent.  When preparing his tax return, I checked that he can be claimed as dependent on someone else's return I said yes.  However, it is applying the standard deduction of $12,400 and I don't this is correct?  Thoughts????  

The standard deduction for him would be $12,400 with earned income of $15,000 in 2020.

See IRS Publication 501, table 8 on page 25 Standard Deduction Worksheet for Dependents - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf#page=25

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, if his $15,000 income is from wages, he gets the full $12,400 standard deduction.

A dependent's standard deduction is the greater of $1100 or his earned income +$350, but not more than $12,400. 

You may be thinking of the pre 2018 tax law, when a dependent was not allowed his $4000+/-  "exemption" deduction. 

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most students will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies