jennie_f

If I received a 1099-misc instead of a 1099-nec, does that have to be corrected?

I worked as an independent contractor and should have received the new 1099-nec form for that but they issued a 1099-misc and entered the amount under the "general" box. I am a personal fitness trainer and I assume they might have used the MISC form to be able to deduct the cost as health or medical expenses. 

Do I have to request a change to NEC or can I just enter the 1099-misc? Thanks!

AmyC

Contact the issuer.  The issuer must follow the rules or they may end up with a penalty. If you should have a 1099NEC, the issuer will want to correct their mistake and issue a corrected 1099MISC with no income and a 1099NEC with the correct income.  You can share the following:

The 1099-NEC is for each person to whom the taxpayer has paid at least $600 during the course of a business for the following.

•Services performed by someone who is not an employee, including parts and materials (box 1),

•Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) purchased from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish (box 1), or

•Payments to an attorney for legal services (box 1).

The Form 1099-MISC is for each person to whom the taxpayer has paid the following during the course of a trade or business.

•At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest,

•At least $600 in rents (box 1), prizes and awards (box 3), other income payments (box 3), the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate (box 3), any fishing boat proceeds (box 5), medical and health care payments (box 6), crop insurance proceeds (box 9), payments to an attorney (box 10), IRC section 409A deferrals (box 12), or nonqualified deferred compensation (box 14).

•Any payment from which federal income tax has been withheld (box 4) under the backup withholding rules

jennie_f

Thanks so much! I will reach out to them.