Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I payed for travel insurance in December of 2018 but the coverage was for January to April of 2019. Can I claim the medical expense in 2018 or must I wait until 2019?

If I made the payment for travel insurance in December of 2018 but the coverage was for January to April of 2019. Can I claim the medical expense in 2018 or must I wait until 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If I payed for travel insurance in December of 2018 but the coverage was for January to April of 2019. Can I claim the medical expense in 2018 or must I wait until 2019?

That's a 2018 expense, provided that the expense qualifies for the deduction.  For individual tax returns, you claim deductions in the year they were "constructively paid", and not in the year that you were using the proceeds of the benefit.  Even though travel isn't until 2019, if you paid for it in 2018, it is a 2018 expense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That's a 2018 expense, provided that the expense qualifies for the deduction.  For individual tax returns, you claim deductions in the year they were "constructively paid", and not in the year that you were using the proceeds of the benefit.  Even though travel isn't until 2019, if you paid for it in 2018, it is a 2018 expense.

Travel insurance is not an eligible medical insurance that you can claim on a tax return Schedule A as a medical expense.

Sorry for the confusion, it is medical travel insurance so I believe it is eligible to be claimed.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That was why I answered the way I did.  DoninGA is correct that travel insurance itself is not deductible, but if your insurance is medical related and is qualified, you deduct it in the year you paid it.

Thank you
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies