turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i'm not married legally but i filed taxes with someone last tax season. Can we file separate this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i'm not married legally but i filed taxes with someone last tax season. Can we file separate this year?

Since you are not married to that person you cannot legally file as either married filing joint or married filing separate.  If you have a dependent relative living with you you may be eligible to file as Head of Household.  Otherwise, file as single.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If youre not legally married, you should be filing single every year.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Which state?

Texas.

Or Head of Household, if applicable

Since you are not married to that person you cannot legally file as either married filing joint or married filing separate.  If you have a dependent relative living with you you may be eligible to file as Head of Household.  Otherwise, file as single.

On the other hand, since Texas recognizes common law marriages, you MAY be considered married but you need to consult with someone who is familiar with Texas law on the subject and with the implications.  If you actually WERE married last year then you still are unless you have gone to court to get a divorce.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies