turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I live and work overseas with the military do I list it as a second location that I live?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnS7

If I live and work overseas with the military do I list it as a second location that I live?

If you were active duty military stationed overseas, you are not considered to have lived in another state in 2016.

On "Your personal info" screen in TurboTax, for Question 2, you will choose your state of legal residence on your LES and indicate "No", that you did not live in another state during 2016.

• Once in your return, click on Personal Info tab
  • Click blue Edit button to right of your name
  • On Your personal info screen scroll down to Question 2, Tell us the state(s) you lived in
  • Enter your state of legal residence on your LES and click No that you did not live in another state.

Once you've indicated active duty military on your personal info screen, you will have several follow up screens asking questions about your service, including where you were stationed.  

However, the quickest way to update/verify your duty station is on the Personal info summary screen.

• Once in your return, click on Personal Info tab
  • Scroll to bottom of Personal Info summary screen
  • Click Edit to right of Other state income
  • On the Where were you Stationed? screen, click down arrow, scroll down and choose Foreign or U.S. Possession.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies