turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I haven't filed taxes in 4 years and don't have any w2's or remember when or where I worked, can you help me?

3 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

If I haven't filed taxes in 4 years and don't have any w2's or remember when or where I worked, can you help me?

You can get your W-2 transcript from the IRS. See here to get transcript from the IRS- https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Read IRS faq here-https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/copies-transcripts/transcript-or-copy-of-form-w-2 

Once you have the transcript from the IRS, you can file your prior year taxes with TurboTax. See the instructions below:


New Member

If I haven't filed taxes in 4 years and don't have any w2's or remember when or where I worked, can you help me?

I do not remember one or two jobs i worked last year how do i find out  or get all the tax forms from last year 

If I haven't filed taxes in 4 years and don't have any w2's or remember when or where I worked, can you help me?

@zariah94 You do not remember the jobs you worked at in what year --- 2019 or 2020?


If you are asking about 2019 you might be able to get the employer's names and some information by getting a 2019 wage and income transcript from the IRS.   That will show the wages that were reported to the IRS by various employers you worked for.


There are several kinds of transcripts ---- you want a Wage and Income transcript




If you are saying that you do not know where you worked in 2020----the year that just ended---not sure what to tell you if you cannot remember the most recent year.  It will be months before the IRS has a wage and income transcript for 2020 available.  Employers you worked for in 2020 have until February 1 to issue your W-2 to you.



As for getting the W-2's----

You might need to phone, drop in, email and/or snail mail an old employer to make sure they know where to send your W-2.















Other ways to get W-2’s:


Pay Social Security $90 per W-2:





You can get a wage and income transcript from the IRS:  It will not show the actual W-2, 1099’s, etc, but will show the income information the IRS received.  It will not, however, show your state information. It will only show the federal information.



To file a tax return for a past year:


The current online program can only be used for a 2020 return--no other year.  And if you did not file a 2019 return you will have trouble e-filing 2020.  When it asks for your 2019 AGI try using zero.  If zero does not work then you have to print, sign and mail 2020.



Online preparation and e-filing for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2017, 2018, or 2019 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)


You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.


Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.


If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.


**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies