Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xnahelio

If I did not get a 1099-B form, how do I report my sales?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Start off entering your investment sale the same way as if you sold stock and got a 1099-B. The second screen will ask you if you got a 1099-B. Click No, and continue through the screens to enter the information about the sale. It will be shown on your tax return as a sale that was not reported on Form 1099-B.

But why did you not get a 1099-B? Did you sell something that a 1099-B is not normally issued for, or did you sell investments through a broker or financial institution that should have sent you a 1099-B? If you should have gotten a 1099-B but didn't receive it, contact the financial institution and ask for a duplicate copy of the 1099-B or equivalent statement.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may need the Form 1099-B to report your brokerage sales.  You can contact your broker for a copy of 1099-B  The form 1099B is used to report gain/s or loss from a sale of stock/s. But ff you can't obtain a copy of the form, you can enter the stock sales or import it in Turbo Tax:

1. In TurboTax Home screen, click Tax Tools, then Tools.
  2. Under Tool Center, type in the search box 1099-B, click go.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2019?
  4. f you see "Here's the info we have for these investment sales, select Add More Sales.
  5. Answer NO to "Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?"  Or answer YES if you want to try to import it.
ct2026

I sold stock from 1988 that I found a hard copy certificate of.  I contacted Vermont unclaimed money and they in turn sent me the 5000$ for it (after a very long investigation by me on how to do this).  Anyway, I contacted

Vermont and they don't send out forms so I added it into Turbo Tax manually. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies