turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I did my 2020 return using CD software (TurboTax Premier 2020), how can I see that return and info in my TurboTax online account?

I have done my taxes with TurboTax online for the past several years. This was the first year I used a CD to download the software to my PC. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to log in to the TurboTax software with your TT/Intuit login, is there a way to basically link the 2020 return I just did to my TurboTax online account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If I did my 2020 return using CD software (TurboTax Premier 2020), how can I see that return and info in my TurboTax online account?

A return you prepared using the CD/download will not be stored in your online account.  It is stored on your own hard drive or any back up device you use like a flash drive.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@ jsmith521 wrote:
I have done my taxes with TurboTax online for the past several years. This was the first year I used a CD to download the software to my PC. Since there doesn't seem to be a way to log in to the TurboTax software with your TT/Intuit login, is there a way to basically link the 2020 return I just did to my TurboTax online account?

What is your ultimate goal that you are hoping to achieve?   Are you strictly asking in regard to storage of the tax files?   And how do you plan to prepare your 2021 return next year?

Thank you! So then next year if I wanted to use TurboTax online again, I assume I could just import my 2020 return?

I honestly only used the CD this year because it was on sale at Costco and looked to cost less than what I spent on TT Premier last year. I didn't realize I wouldn't be logging into my account with the software though.  

As I said in my other reply, it's possible I may go back to online next year, and I just like everything to be connected and in one place. But not a big deal.

By the way, when you started 2020 were you able to transfer from your 2019 online return?  You could have.

If you used the Desktop program why does it say the Premier Online version on your post?  Just curious.  I get worried because some people who buy the Desktop CD/Download program end up using the Online version by accident.  

@jsmith521  wrote:

Thank you! So then next year if I wanted to use TurboTax online again, I assume I could just import my 2020 return?

Yes, you can transfer a desktop *.tax2020 data file into next year's 2021 online return.  But you MUST keep a safe and secure backup copy of the *.tax2020 data file.  You may wish to keep a copy of the 2020 PDF as well for easy viewing throughout the year without needing to launch the TurboTax program.

Keep both types of files safe and secure since they are very sensitive files with all your personal info and financial info, including possible bank account numbers.

Yes I definitely transferred my 2019 return. I had to of course log in to TT online to download it, which is what seems disjointed to me. My info and history is already with TT online, so it seemed strange that I wasn't using the software to just connect to that account.

And I'm not sure why the post says Online. I definitely filed through with program. And if I log into TT online, it shows no history of my 2020 return and tries to start me on a new one. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies