turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I cleaned my husband's friends house 3 times for $275 what occupation am i and how do i claim if this is my only income ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If I cleaned my husband's friends house 3 times for $275 what occupation am i and how do i claim if this is my only income ?

If this is your only income you may wish to see if you quality for the IRS Free File Program.

Please see more information below:

Before switching to the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, it’s important to make sure you’re eligible for the product. If you answer yes to any of these question, you qualify: 

• Is your adjusted gross income (AGI) $36,000 or less? 

• Were you active duty military in 2019 with an AGI of $69,000 or less? 

• Do you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)? 

To switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax: 

1. Sign out of your existing TurboTax account. 

2. Go to the IRS Free File delivered by TurboTax website and sign in to your same account from there. 

3. Select Yes, switch to IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax when asked, and Continue. 

Related Information: 

What's the difference between IRS Free File Program and Free Edition? 

Can I delete my tax return in TurboTax Online? 

Your income would be considered self-employment income. If you end up using TurboTax, you would need the Deluxe version of TurboTax to report this income.   You are considered self employed and have to fill out a schedule C for business income.

The code for cleaning business is 561720 for janitorial services.

If you have expenses to claim to offset some of the income, you will need the Self-Employed version or the Home & Business version.   Your expenses would be cleaning products, etc.

[Edited 04.07.20 | 1:26 pm]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

NO!  You do NOT have to pay TurboTax for the expensive Self-Employed version of online software to prepare that return.   You can file a return for free using Free File.  Not sure why the above "expert" did not tell you that.   FreeFile will have all the forms and schedules you need to enter self-employment income.

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $36,000 or less, or $69,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

If you are filing a joint return with your spouse, and you do not qualify for Free File, THEN you might have to purchase Self-Employed because of your combined income.

If you switch to Free File you must create a new account and new user ID.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies