turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kdally123

I do not have an id theft problem. I did not participate in a test for ip pins last year. Therefore, the IRS will not issue me an ip pin. How can I e-file without it?

I have spoken with your agents at least twice.  They insist EVERYONE MUST have an ip pin.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I do not have an id theft problem. I did not participate in a test for ip pins last year. Therefore, the IRS will not issue me an ip pin. How can I e-file without it?

Someone is/was confused.

Everyone who e-files needs a 5 digit e-filing PIN.  If it is your first time e-filing you can pick any 5 digit number.  If you have e-filed before, you need to use the same self-selected PIN as last year, or your adjusted gross income from last year.  If you e-filed with turbotax and if you log in using the same account, your e-filing PIN or AGI should transfer automatically.  If you need your AGI from last year, check a copy of last year's return or get a transcript from the IRS. If you filed very late last year, your AGI may not be in the system, try zero. Due to identity theft problems at the IRS itself, the "instantly get a new e-file PIN" was discontinued.  You need your transcript from last year if you don't know your PIN.  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Separately there is a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (IP-PIN). The IRS only issues IP-PINs to taxpayers who are proven victims of identity theft.  The IP-PIN is mailed to your address on file each December, and changes every year.  If you lose your IP-PIN the IRS will mail a new one to you but you can't get one over the phone or online.

If you are being rejected or prevented from e-filing because your e-filing PIN is wrong, you can check last year's tax return or get a transcript.  Make sure you identify in turbotax that you are using the AGI and not a self-selected PIN.  If you can't e-file, print your tax return and mail it to the IRS.  

If you are being rejected for lack of an IP-PIN (6 digit), and the IRS operators say you don't have one, there is a problem at their end.  You can print and file by mail, but processing your return may be delayed.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

I will inform a TurboTax Moderator concerning the experience you had with support.
If you did not have an ID theft issue and did not receive an IP PIN in the mail from the IRS, then you do Not have to file your tax return using an IP PIN.  Is your tax return being rejected by the IRS for not having a 6 digit IP PIN?
To e-file a tax return you have to enter either your 2015 AGI or the self-selected 5 digit PIN you used for e-filing the 2015 tax return.

Someone is/was confused.

Everyone who e-files needs a 5 digit e-filing PIN.  If it is your first time e-filing you can pick any 5 digit number.  If you have e-filed before, you need to use the same self-selected PIN as last year, or your adjusted gross income from last year.  If you e-filed with turbotax and if you log in using the same account, your e-filing PIN or AGI should transfer automatically.  If you need your AGI from last year, check a copy of last year's return or get a transcript from the IRS. If you filed very late last year, your AGI may not be in the system, try zero. Due to identity theft problems at the IRS itself, the "instantly get a new e-file PIN" was discontinued.  You need your transcript from last year if you don't know your PIN.  https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Separately there is a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (IP-PIN). The IRS only issues IP-PINs to taxpayers who are proven victims of identity theft.  The IP-PIN is mailed to your address on file each December, and changes every year.  If you lose your IP-PIN the IRS will mail a new one to you but you can't get one over the phone or online.

If you are being rejected or prevented from e-filing because your e-filing PIN is wrong, you can check last year's tax return or get a transcript.  Make sure you identify in turbotax that you are using the AGI and not a self-selected PIN.  If you can't e-file, print your tax return and mail it to the IRS.  

If you are being rejected for lack of an IP-PIN (6 digit), and the IRS operators say you don't have one, there is a problem at their end.  You can print and file by mail, but processing your return may be delayed.
Vance330
Returning Member

there are NO Agents in the IRS Office to Provide me with a Ip Pin so how can i file my tax?

2. I have a Direct Deposit Account I just sent to IRS Today , can this be used to pay my Stimulus Check 2020?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have an IP-PIN and have lost or not received it, you can attempt to recover it from the IRS. Otherwise, you will need to mail in your return. 

You can find the IRS IP-PIN recovery site here. 

If you have filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019 with direct deposit information, that will be used to send your stimulus payment.

@Vance330

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How did u summit bank information too irs 

Vance330
Returning Member

No one replies at the IRS Offices (Federal) and states that there will be NO live Operators and due to this i cant mail or file electronic without a 6 Numbered IP PIN. only automated response while Covid19 is at large.

Vance330
Returning Member

used tj

he payment method for debts to irs

MTC922

I just had my return rejected for not using this PIN also. Never received it Dec and when I tried their tool to recover it I couldn’t. I called the number Intuit provided yet no one is working at the IRS. I requested it via the mail on April 2 and STILL have not received it. They answer every frigge on their site except this issue which they don’t even address. 

What do you suggest TurboTax?

TurboTax has no influence over the IRS.   If an IP PIN is required to e-file then it is not possible to e-file without it.

The only answer is wait, paper file (but paper returns are not currently being processed) or pay a tax professional to file with professional software since they must verify your ID in person and you must sign a e-file release, so they do  not need the IPPIN to file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My return was rejected 3 times, and only rejection #3 explained that IRS IP PIN was missing - NOT AGI, NOT e-file 5-digit PIN.  Was able to get IP PIN 6-digit number from IRS website and add this PIN under 'Other Return Information/IP PIN'.

Finally, return was accepted!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies