Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was the co signer on a student loan. The debt has been canceled. Total cancelled debt of 11,400. Who reports as income? Primary, co signer or both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
FaithY
Expert Alumni

I was the co signer on a student loan. The debt has been canceled. Total cancelled debt of 11,400. Who reports as income? Primary, co signer or both?

The student should file the 1099-C because the student is the debtor. The co-signing parent is a guarantor not a debtor according to the IRS (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.6050P-1)

The co-signing parent should not receive a 1099-C and you should contact the creditor and ask for a corrected 1099-C if you the co-signing parent receive a 1099-C. If the creditor refuses to correct the 1099-C issued to the co-signing parent, the co-signer will need to attach a note to their tax return with an explanation.

How do you attach a note (to insure they actually read it) explaining you were the co-signer not the debtor on your son’s cancelled student loan? Do you claim 0 for the cancelled debt on your tax return? 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

If you can't get the issuer of the 1099-C to correct it, you should paper file and attach a note and explanation to your return.

The IRS will probably not read it unless they decide to question your return.

You should report the 1099-C on your return, and then report an identical amount under 'Other Income' as a negative number.

To enter 'other Income' in TurboTax:

1. Go to Income & Expenses
  2. Select Miscellaneous Income
  3. Then Edit Other reportable income
  4. Enter the amount as a negative number to offset the cancelled debt income you reported.
  5. The negative number will appear on line 8 of Schedule 1
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies