Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was given an W2 for earnings that are exempt per IRS 2014-7. I added the W2 then put it again under other inclome with a neg. sign Yet it's still showing as income

Why is this still showing as income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I was given an W2 for earnings that are exempt per IRS 2014-7. I added the W2 then put it again under other inclome with a neg. sign Yet it's still showing as income

Where is it showing as income?  If it is on a review or summery screen ignore that.  Check the actual return and make sure the wages on line 7 is offset on line 21.

You can (and should) preview your return.  if you want to see all the forms, schedules and worksheets you have to pay any fees first.      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing">...>

The IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/certain-medicaid-waiver-payments-may-be-excludable-from-income) states:

Q11. I received wage payments that are excludable from gross income under Notice 2014-7. However, the agency that pays me treats me as an employee and continued to withhold federal income tax on the payments and reported the payments as wages in box 1 of Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. How should I report to the Service that the payments are excludable from gross income?

A11. If you are not able to obtain a Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, from the agency reporting the correct amount in box 1 of Form W-2, you should include the full amount of the payments reported in box 1 of Form W-2 as wages on line 7 of Form 1040. You should then subtract the excludable portion of the amount in box 1 on line 21 “Other income,” of Form 1040. If you have other income reportable on line 21, you should enter the net amount after subtracting the amount excludable from gross income under Notice 2014-7 from the other amounts reportable on line 21. You may need to enter a negative amount on line 21 if you have no other income reportable on line 21, or if the amount of other income you must report on line 21 is less than the amount excludable from gross income. You should write “Notice 2014-7” on the dotted line for line 21 if you file a paper return, or enter “Notice 2014-7” on line 21 for an electronically filed return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies