Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I tried ordering my transcripts and it says my address is wrong

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to use the exact address that you used when you filed your return last year. If you moved here are instructions directly from the IRS FAQ.

Q16. What if my address changed since I filed my last tax return and it doesn’t match IRS records when I use Get Transcript by Mail or the automated phone transcript service at 800-908-9946?

Don’t use your old address. The transcript won’t get forwarded to you. You need to file Form 8822, Change of Address, before you submit Form 4506-T or Form 4506T-EZ. Generally, it takes four to six weeks to process a change of address.

This is the IRS FAQ's for getting tax transcripts:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript-faqs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Bumping off this.... 

So I moved in January 2019 ( last year )  but I used my new address ( that was on my w2's ) this year and when I go to get transcripts it says address does not match. 

So as mentioned above I should be using PREVIOUS years address not my new one? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You have to have your address exactly like it is on the return for the year you are requesting.  What is on your W2's is irrelevant.  If you had 101 M Street and enter 101 M St, it will not be an address match.  It must be exact.

'

So if I'm requesting a return for 2019 should I use the address I live and that's on my w2s ( same address ) 

or Should I use previous years? 

I can get into the transcript area to have them mailed to me using my previously address just not with my new address that's on my w2s as well. 

I mean does the IRS automatically update my new address according to what's on my w2?  

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You should use the address that was on the tax return when requesting a transcript.  No, the IRS does not update your address from your W-2

Im having the same issue. Could it be that my return isn't finished processing? Because i used my new address when i filed my taxes

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I'm sure the IRS has not updated your address information from this year's filing.  If you wish to get a transcript of the return you recently filed then you should wait for your return to process (i.e. your refund deposited).  

SHEHUGHB

NO!!! DO NOT USE YOUR OLD ADDRESS! If you Google your question, it tells you that whatever address you put on the tax return you filed, then the IRS will update you to that address. If you use your old address then anything that the IRS sends you  go to the old address. I have moved 6 times in the past 10 years and almost every time I file a new tax return I put my new address and the IRS will see your tax return and update the address for you. That guy that told you to use your old address is setting you up for failure.  And he obviously don't know jack crap. Google your question and it will tell you the IRS updates it from the tax return. 

I recently changed my address also.  So if we’re not able to order our transcripts yet that mean they haven’t processed our return yet?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The two processes are separate.  You can check the e-file status of your return by clicking here:  Check your e-file status

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m getting this message this year. I recently got divorced, but my name change went into effect September 2020. I’ve been living at my house since October of 2018 and it says my information isn’t correct, under my previous name or my maiden name. My address is entered as is from my tax filing. Anyone else experience this much wrong with theirs? I ended up ordering one in the mail, but this is the biggest headache I’ve ever experienced. 

Yes, many people experience this, especially in a divorce and name change year. This is not a TurboTax issue, this is a SSA (Social Security Admin.) delay in communication to the I.R.S. When I got divorced, and also moved, I had a heck of a time getting my return accepted. This is for your own benefit, but I do understand your frustration. Whatever name you have registered with the SSA - as well as what ever address you used on your last accepted Federal Tax Return - should truly go through. Please, also, be sure to note that even a missing . for your middle initial might kick it back to you. It has to be exactly as the SSA has it. If you still encounter a problem, your second best bet would be to paper mail your returns with all back up documents, be sure to send Certified Mail / Return Receipt Requested to ensure the I.R.S. has received it and proof of what day it was received and signed for. One year of having to deal with this, believe me, will save you many years to come of this miscommunication between the two completely separate Governmental Departments. 

Keldiana

My client doesn't remember what address she used. She was in a shelter and used a friend's address. But she can't remember which friend. What options does she have? She's tried using different possible address with no matches.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@Keldiana She may need to contact the IRS to see what recovery options are available; that contact info is here

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies