turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received W2 from IHSS for my client in CA. I also received a 1099 misc from my client for the difference IHSS pays and what she pays. How do I file the 1099misc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I received W2 from IHSS for my client in CA. I also received a 1099 misc from my client for the difference IHSS pays and what she pays. How do I file the 1099misc?

The income from the W-2 can be excluded. See instructions at the end. 

For the 1099-MIsc, 

Instructions

1. Open your return.
     (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the Take me to my return button.)
  2. Search for “1099-misc” at the top. In the search results, click the “Jump to” link.
  3. Now follow the screens to enter your 1099-MISC info and answer some questions

IHSS

TurboTax can exempt income under Notice 2014-7 per the IRS instructions. This Notice provides that certain payments received by an individual care provider under a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (Medicaid waiver) program, are difficulty of care payments and excludable as income. 

If these payments are paid to you in box 1 of form W-2 (they should not), first try to get a corrected Form W-2 from the payer. If you cannot get a corrected Form W-2, follow these steps: 

Do not enter the W-2 in the Wages & Salaries topic. Instead enter it as Other Reportable Income under the Miscellaneous Income section. Take the following steps: 

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click Continue your return, then pick up where I left off (if you are using TurboTax CD/ Download, then just open your return on your computer);
  1. Click on Federal Taxes at the top of the screen;
  2. At the bottom of Your Income box pick the option in blue to help me add other income, then jump to full list;
  3. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: Less common Income and click show more;
  4. Select start or update next to the last topic titled Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C;
  5. Scroll down to the last option titled Other reportable income and select start or edit;
  6. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes then you will make two entries:
  7. Your first entry description would be W-2 EIN # (enter EIN number from W-2) Box 1 Medicaid Waiver Payments, and enter the Box 1 amount as a positive number.
  8. Next you click "Add Another Miscellaneous Income Item," and enter this description: IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income and enter the W-2 Box 1 amount as a Negative (-) number. 

This both shows and explains removing the W-2 income, placing a zero on Line 21 of your Form 1040. 

If your W-2 has federal or state taxes withheld, you can enter these amounts in the Deductions & Credits section under Other Income Taxes as Withholding not already entered on W-2.

For more information, refer to IRS Notice 2014–7, 20144 I.R.B. 445 and the IRS FAQs.

user32745

how do i make the ihss income non taxable in my California tax return form
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies