turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received stipend from ORISE with no Federal tax withheld. The agency suggested us to file 1040-ES for the stipend income. What should I report this form with TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I received stipend from ORISE with no Federal tax withheld. The agency suggested us to file 1040-ES for the stipend income. What should I report this form with TurboTax?

Will your stipend be reported on a 1099Misc?  If so you will receive that form by the end of January.  You say they suggested that you pay estimated tax ahead of time, but now it is 2020 and it sounds like you did not do so.  If you want to make an estimated payment this late you can do it on the IRS site, or just pay the tax you owe when you file your 2019 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When was this?  Did you send in the 1040ES with a payment and need to enter it into your tax return?

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To it.

OR
To enter Federal or State Estimated Taxes Paid, including a state estimated payment made in Jan 2019 for 2018 (or Jan 2020 for 2019), go to
Federal or Personal (for Home & Business version)
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Estimated Taxes - click the Start or Update button

Estimated payments go on 1040 Schedule 3 line 8
And show up on 1040 line 18d

Thank you for your reply!! The agency said they won't provide any kind of form for us to report the tax, so I don't think my stipend will be reported on a 1099Misc. I started receiving my first stipend paycheck only in Nov, 2019, so that's why I didn't have the chance to pay the estimated payment early this year. So in my situation, could I just file the tax return by April15th 2020, as you suggested?

Another question is: should I still pay the estimated tax payment for 2020 tax since I will be continuously receiving stipend in 2020 as well? If so, how can I use Turbotax to calculate the estimated payment? 

Thank you!! 

When you are done filling out your 2019 return Turbo Tax might automatically give you the estimate forms or you can go though that section to prepare them.

You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return , click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.

OR go to
Federal Taxes
Other Tax Situations
Other Tax Forms
Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

VolvoGirl, thank you for your reply. I haven't sent any 1040ES yet since I only received my first stipend in Nov, 2019. But thank you so much for explaining these steps, it is really helpful information. Thanks a lot. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies