turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hxrichard

I received an IRS tax refund in a mail. What should I do? I thought Turbo tax calculation is correct.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I received an IRS tax refund in a mail. What should I do? I thought Turbo tax calculation is correct.

I assume you mean that you received a refund other than the refund shown on your tax return. If the additional refund is a small amount it might be interest that the IRS pays if they take too long to send the refund from your tax return. Otherwise, in a couple of weeks you should get a letter from the IRS explaining what the additional refund is for.

TurboTax calculations are usually correct, but they are based on what you entered. If you made a mistake in an entry, or answered a question incorrectly, it's possible that the IRS would catch the error and correct it. Wait and see what the IRS letter says.

Or did you have a penalty on 1040 line 38?  That is just an estimated amount.  It's common for the IRS to adjust it and send you a refund or a bill for more.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies