turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received an extension to file for 2016. I need to edit the amount of federal estimated taxes paid, but it won't let me. What do I do?

I actually forgot to enter a 1040ES that I paid, but TurboTax doesn't seem to let me add that in now.  It simply tells me, "You paid a total of ___ in federal estimated taxes," but doesn't give me the option to update or change it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I received an extension to file for 2016. I need to edit the amount of federal estimated taxes paid, but it won't let me. What do I do?

To enter estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) - 

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen.  Click on Jump to estimates paid

Thanks, but when I get there, it simply tells me, "You paid a total of ___ in federal estimated taxes," but doesn't give me the option to update or change it.

What exactly do you see with you use the Search option and land on the screen 'Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid' screen then click on the start or update button on 'Federal estimated taxes of 2016 Form 1040ES'?
Does the screen just say "You paid a total of ___ in federal estimated taxes," with no option to click on the start or update button to enter the taxes paid?  Or is this after you click on the start or update button?

Most of the time, searching for "estimates paid" doesn't even bring up the result "Jump to estimates paid."  But when it does, clicking on "Jump to" just ends up with the same thing:  It just tells me how much I paid with no option to start or update.

And yes, it says, "You paid a total of ___" after clicking on the Update button.

Okay...thank you for the update.  This has been reported to the TurboTax Moderator of the forum.
For assistance with this particular issue you will need to contact TurboTax support.  Support is closed on the weekends after tax season.  Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday.
See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489</a>

Thanks, will do.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies