Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AS3
Level 2

I received a Form 1099-INT from IRS

Should we be expecting a 1099 INT for CA state refunds as well? Or interest on refunds if just a Federal Tax thing?

You should get a 1099G for a state refund.  It may be taxable on your federal return.  Did California pay you any interest on it?   Then you might get a 1099INT if you received interest.

AS3
Level 2

I did receive a 1099-G listing the refund amount I got from CA. I did not receive any interest or 1099-INT from CA's refund.

My question was why? Why did i receive interest on federal tax refund, but not on the state tax refund?

thanks

You would have to ask the state.  But the states paid the refunds faster last year than the IRS.  The IRS took a long time to process returns and send the refunds.  You probably got your CA refund before federal?  

fsandy17

i received a notice from IRS about interest received on my tax refund.  It is not on a 1099 or any similar form.  How do I enter it in TurboTax

Enter interest from the IRS like a 1099Int and put the amount in box 1.

Enter a 1099-Int  under

Federal on left

Wages & Income at top

Interest and Dividends

Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start or Revisit button

Don't enter a bank or broker name and don't try to import it.  At the bottom pick -  Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

Put the interest amount in box 1

Cornel34

OK

Interest from the IRS on refunds do not go in box 3 but box 1 as regular interest.  As you noted box 3 is for savings bonds and treasury bond interest not plain interest.

What can I do if IRS did not send my 1099-INT, and I know I was paid interest last year? It is on my transcript. Thanks!

ajhg8

i lost this form so how can i get a new one or find the FEIN for the IRS??

i have the information for box 1 but need to figure out the FEIN of the IRS and box 3 info.

You don't need to enter all that info.  Just enter IRS interest and put the amount in box 1.  The amount goes in box 1 not box 3.

TurboTax is requiring a “payer address”, but there is no payer address on the form I received. It only shows the city, state and zip code. What do I put for the rest of the address? 

Can you clear out the city and state?  Don't have anything for address.  Then it won't need the street.

No. It won’t let me. It auto filled the city, etc. 

Thank you. I deleted the form that auto filled and added one that I filled in myself with the info you said. All clear. Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies