turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emscott68

I received a 1099a form from a resort at which I owned a timeshare. I let it go via Warranty Deed in lieu of foreclosure. Do I need to report anything from this form on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

I received a 1099a form from a resort at which I owned a timeshare. I let it go via Warranty Deed in lieu of foreclosure. Do I need to report anything from this form on my tax return?

Form 1099-A is often more informational than actionable.   If you received a 1099-A because you have abandoned personal property, such as a car, you don't need to report it in your return.

IMPORTANT: If you received a 1099-A for a business- or investment-related property, such as a rental property or company car, see IRS Publication 544 Sales and Other Disposition of Assets and IRS Publication 4681 Canceled Debts, Foreclosures, Repossessions and Abandonments before continuing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299944

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Patrice

Form 1099-A is often more informational than actionable.   If you received a 1099-A because you have abandoned personal property, such as a car, you don't need to report it in your return.

IMPORTANT: If you received a 1099-A for a business- or investment-related property, such as a rental property or company car, see IRS Publication 544 Sales and Other Disposition of Assets and IRS Publication 4681 Canceled Debts, Foreclosures, Repossessions and Abandonments before continuing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299944

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies