Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >

DJ-Jeff

I received a 1099-MISC for money I've already partly declared in a previous year. How do I handle it?

They paid me last year for a New Years Eve performance I did in 2015 (which I declared in 2016)...

... then they sent me another check in 2017 for another performance I did for them again in 2016...

... but then they sent me a 1099-MISC for BOTH performances.

I've already declared the first amount in a previous return.

How do I account for the missing amount if I use the 1099-MISC?

Do I just ignore the 1099-MISC, and just declare the latest income?

No don't ignore it.  You can enter the 2015 amount as a misc other expense and call something like Reported on prior year return.

DJ-Jeff

Wait... Are you saying, Enter the 2015 "Income" as an "Expense"?

You enter the whole 1099Misc as income then offset it with the misc expense entry.
DJ-Jeff

Hmmmmmm
DJ-Jeff

And you drive a Volvo? 😉
DJ-Jeff

You saved me AGAIN!

Yes I do!  1997 V90 275,000 miles
DJ-Jeff

Wait... I miss spoke (or wrote)... The amount was actually for the NEXT return (one payment for 2015-16 performance, then the other for 2016-17 performance). Meaning, the second check will not be reported until the next return (because I never saw the money until 2017)! Same deal?

I'll just switch the verbiage from "Last Year's Return" to "Next Year's"... Right?
DJ-Jeff

Seems to be OK. Return has been submitted, and accepted [First time EVER without ANY errors found by the "Error Check"!!].

Thanks again!

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-_~