jlv7798

I put my name first on the tax form because I'm the one filling it out but my husband is the only one with income. Do I need to fix this and if so how? I've already paid.

with my credit card but not sent anything yet.
jlv7798

We filed with my husbands name first last year. Is there any way to fix this before I file to avoid any hassles next year?
MiriamF

You can try deleting your name, ssn and birthdate and replacing them with his, then delete his as spouse and replace them with yours. After you have done that, go through the Review process again to make sure that TurboTax's brain hasn't been scrambled. Before you file, make sure that each W-2, etc. is correctly attributed. You can preview your forms by going to my Account > Print Center.
MiriamF

No, you don't need to change the order in which your names are listed based upon income, but keep reading.

The IRS doesn't care who goes first on the tax return, as long as you use the same order every year.

Tax data is stored by the first person listed on the return. It doesn't matter who earned the income.

If your name is first this year, but your husband's is first next year, you will get a letter from the IRS next year asking why you haven't filed. Plus, if you need to get info about a prior year return, you won't have to wonder who went first that year, because you will only be able to retrieve the return based upon the taxpayer who is primary (listed first).