Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for books/resources to better my skill set with my occupation. My employer did not reimburse me. What section in the 1040A do I enter this info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I paid for books/resources to better my skill set with my occupation. My employer did not reimburse me. What section in the 1040A do I enter this info?

If your expenses relate to a W-2 job, and meet the qualifications shown below, you would deduct them as job related expenses as part of your itemized deductions.  

Your question shows you are using the Free version, so you would have to upgrade to Deluxe to itemize your expenses.  it may not be worth the cost to do that given that the total of your job related expenses is reduced by 2% of your Adjusted gross Income for the year in order to arrive at the deductible amount.  That deductible amount becomes part of your itemized deductions but, until the total of ALL your itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction ($6,350 for Single) you will not benefit at all from itemizing.

To add them, type job-related expenses in the search window on the upper right, then click on the Jump To

From the IRS:

"Your work-related educational expenses must be for education that:

• maintains or improves your job skills; OR
  • is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job.

The education cannot

•  be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business; or 
  •  be needed to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business."

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

If your expenses relate to a W-2 job, and meet the qualifications shown below, you would deduct them as job related expenses as part of your itemized deductions.  

Your question shows you are using the Free version, so you would have to upgrade to Deluxe to itemize your expenses.  it may not be worth the cost to do that given that the total of your job related expenses is reduced by 2% of your Adjusted gross Income for the year in order to arrive at the deductible amount.  That deductible amount becomes part of your itemized deductions but, until the total of ALL your itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction ($6,350 for Single) you will not benefit at all from itemizing.

To add them, type job-related expenses in the search window on the upper right, then click on the Jump To

From the IRS:

"Your work-related educational expenses must be for education that:

• maintains or improves your job skills; OR
  • is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job.

The education cannot

•  be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business; or 
  •  be needed to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business."

Thanks for helping me understand
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies