dareal1of06

I paid for books/resources to better my skill set with my occupation. My employer did not reimburse me. What section in the 1040A do I enter this info?

Anita01

If your expenses relate to a W-2 job, and meet the qualifications shown below, you would deduct them as job related expenses as part of your itemized deductions.  

Your question shows you are using the Free version, so you would have to upgrade to Deluxe to itemize your expenses.  it may not be worth the cost to do that given that the total of your job related expenses is reduced by 2% of your Adjusted gross Income for the year in order to arrive at the deductible amount.  That deductible amount becomes part of your itemized deductions but, until the total of ALL your itemized deductions exceeds your standard deduction ($6,350 for Single) you will not benefit at all from itemizing.

To add them, type job-related expenses in the search window on the upper right, then click on the Jump To

From the IRS:

"Your work-related educational expenses must be for education that:

• maintains or improves your job skills; OR
  • is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job.

The education cannot

•  be part of a program that will qualify you for a new trade or business; or 
  •  be needed to meet the minimal educational requirements of your trade or business."

Anita01

From the IRS:

The education cannot

dareal1of06

Thanks for helping me understand