turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jetmama30

I paid double in the SSI deductions and I should get 8K back but this was not added to my refund. How do I ensure that I will get the overpayment of SSI deductions back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I paid double in the SSI deductions and I should get 8K back but this was not added to my refund. How do I ensure that I will get the overpayment of SSI deductions back?

How did you pay double?  And for what deductions?  For Federal withholding?  And you do not enter ssi on your tax return and ssi is not taxable.  Do you mean regular SS Social Security or SSDI?

How do you know you paid double?  The withholding is just an estimated amount.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

Social Security is on 1040 line 5a and the taxable amount on 5b.

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.  Or if you are using the Desktop program you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the left side.

Or I have a feeling you are asking about the SS deducted from your W2 in box 4?

More than 1 Employer:

For 2019,  If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then schedule 3 goes to 1040 Line 18d.  If only one employer took out more than $8,239.80 you have to get the difference back from that employer and get a corrected W2 form.

One Employer:

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,239.80.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

Or are you asking about paying the self employment tax?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies