turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid all my estimated taxes but the amount I owe for 2020 is still couple thousand. Will we still owe a penalty?

It's February 2021, can I add to my 2020 estimated tax payments to avoid a penalty when I file this Spring?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I paid all my estimated taxes but the amount I owe for 2020 is still couple thousand. Will we still owe a penalty?

you may not need to. there are no penalties for underestimation of estimated taxes if any of the following apply:

1) withholding and timely estimated tax payments = 90% of 2020 tax

2) or 100% 2019 tax (110% if your 2019 adjusted gross income was over $150,000) 

if you don't meet any of these exceptions you can pay in more now but you'll still have some underestimation penalty because you are paying after 1/15/2021

If you did pay 2020 quarterly estimated taxes during the last year, you did enter those payment amounts as having been paid, into the software...didn't you?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies