turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I only have $319.50 of side income to report. Do I still need to use the self employed option or can I just use the deluxe and allocate the extra?

I only have $319.50 of side income to report.  Do I still need to use the self employed option or can I just use the deluxe and allocate the extra?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I only have $319.50 of side income to report. Do I still need to use the self employed option or can I just use the deluxe and allocate the extra?

In addition, if Deluxe is an option, would it be a wiser one?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on whether the side income is hobby income or self-employment income. Hobby income is reported as Other Income, rather than on a Schedule C that you need for self-employment income. You only have to use the TurboTax Self-Employed if you need to file a Schedule C. 

The IRS has guidelines for what is a business and what is considered a hobby. In addition, any losses incurred each year will be treated differently depending on what this income is classified as. If an activity is a hobby, losses from that activity may not be used to offset your other income. The first step for you would be to determine whether this is a side business or a hobby. Please review this IRS fact sheet to help you evaluate your situation: Business or Hobby?

If you determine you are self-employed and need a Schedule C, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search schedule c with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  3. Go to the Jump to schedule c link in the search results. 
  4. Answer Yes to the page titled, Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If you determine you have hobby income, please follow the steps below:

1. Click on Federal Taxes tab
  2. Choose Wages and Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income 
  4. Click Start to to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. Click Start to right of Hobby income and expenses
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies