turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to open a tax2011. I can't find my disc for 2011. How can I open this file. The IRS is holding my refund this year saying I didn't file but I know I did.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I need to open a tax2011. I can't find my disc for 2011. How can I open this file. The IRS is holding my refund this year saying I didn't file but I know I did.

TurboTax does not support tax year 2011.

If you are unable to locate the software to install on your computer so you can open the 2011 tax data file, then you will need to purchase the software from an online retailer, such as Amazon.

The 2011 tax data file with a file extension of .tax2011 can only be opened by the 2011 TurboTax desktop software installed on your computer.

If you saved a PDF of the 2011 tax return, that PDF can be opened by any PDF compatible application, such as Adobe Reader.

Rambaud

Way to support your own product. If the format you offered to save tax history isn't universal, you should offer a product that views these files. No one saves software from 2011. And, I'd guess, finding a copy now is near impossible. Thanks for nothing.

Even the IRS only saves returns for seven years.   You do not say why you are trying to get to a 2011 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Jorabi

Not that it's any of your business, but I need to look up my 2011 income history because the Social Security Administration is missing my earnings number for that year. I did not save the return in PDF format. It's unbelievable that you do not provide a small utility that can save the tax format to a PDF or convert it to the current year's format. This should be available in perpetuity.

@Jorabi Sorry----but the IRS and TurboTax save returns for seven years.   The IRS *might* still have a 2011 transcript---- you should check for that ---they may have transcripts that go back farther than actual copies of returns.

You can get a free transcript from the IRS:   

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Going forward---save hard copies of your tax returns for your own records.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

SAVE YOUR TAX RETURN !

EVERY year before mid-October you should save a copy of your tax return as a pdf and print a copy of it for your records.  That way you will not be searching online frantically when you need it for a lender, FAFSA forms, your next tax return, etc. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900937-why-should-i-save-a-pdf-copy-of-my-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899779-what-s-the-difference-between-the-tax-data-file-and-the-pd...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912466-how-do-i-save-my-return-as-a-pdf-in-the-turbotax-software-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912533-how-do-i-save-my-return-as-a-pdf-in-the-turbotax-software-...

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/print-selected-pages-acrobat-reader.html#:~:text=Ctrl%2Dclick%20(...

Jorabi

Thank you, Captain Obvious. Here's one for you: EVERY year Intuit should place a utility on the downloads or FTP server that can read and write that year's proprietary format, and leave it there forever. I always PRINT and SAVE as PDF my return. I missed ONE year, and THAT'S the year I need. I have all other year's returns saved.

So instead of doing a solid for your customer base, you are either assuming 100% remembered to print/save, they NEVER misplace it, or you are giving a big FU to them. Any is deplorable.

No, you would rather repeatedly pontificate to the thousands of users that can be seen all over the net who are stuck in this situation. 

@Jorabi FYI----I am an unpaid volunteer doing my best to help other users.   Sorry my attempts offended you.  I will not make the mistake of trying to help you again.

Jorabi

Good call. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies