Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to efile my state returen, but when I originally did my taxes, turbotax wouldn't let me. how do I do it now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I need to efile my state returen, but when I originally did my taxes, turbotax wouldn't let me. how do I do it now?

Did you e-file your Federal return & was it accepted?  Your Federal return must be accepted before you can e-file a State return separate.  

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.

If your federal hasn't been accepted, or you printed and mailed it, you won't be able to e-file your state but you can print and mail a paper return.

Married filers: If you e-filed your federal using the joint married status, but you want to e-file your state returns separately, only one of you will be able to e-file. The other must paper-file their state return.

TurboTax Online

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2020.
  3. Now select Add a state (this reopens your return).
  4. Select State from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions.

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Did you e-file your Federal return & was it accepted?  Your Federal return must be accepted before you can e-file a State return separate.  

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

Although you can e-file your federal and state taxes together, if you choose to e-file your federal first, you'll have to wait until that return has been accepted before you can e-file your state.

If your federal hasn't been accepted, or you printed and mailed it, you won't be able to e-file your state but you can print and mail a paper return.

Married filers: If you e-filed your federal using the joint married status, but you want to e-file your state returns separately, only one of you will be able to e-file. The other must paper-file their state return.

TurboTax Online

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  4. Select State from the left menu (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  5. On the Let's get your state taxes done right screen, select Continue and follow the instructions.

My Federal is showing accepted, however it will not allow me to efile a state without choosing a federal . Now what do I do? 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

To file your state taxes please follow the steps below:

TurboTax Online

1. Sign in to TurboTax.

TurboTax CD/Download software

With your return open, select the State Taxes tab near the top. This will take you to the state section and you can proceed from there.

Please click How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal? to learn more.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have tried the above directions, using the CD/ Software. I went into my State, and it will not allow me to file saying Efile requires a federal return - click back to select federal return to file.... I filed my federal while waiting for the state software on turbo tax to be updated. My Federal is in accepted status per Turbo tax. So please, tell me how I can efile my state without getting the error that I still need to efile federal. I appreciate the help

Try this,  You first need to update your program with the federal efile status.  Go up  to FILE - Electronic Filing - Check Electronic Filing Status.  Then save your return, go to FILE - SAVE.  Then close your return and reopen it and go though the File TAB again to file state.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Guidance on filing your state return at this point has been provided by clicking here.

HI, This still did not work,

Still getting error that I need to file federal with along with state 

This is not helpful at all. This is what is not working

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Guidance on filing your state return at this point has been provided by clicking here.

Again Lindsay,

These steps do not work. My Federal is accepted and I am still getting the error that I need to file federal with state.

Please say specifically what you saw when you followed VolvoGirl's steps above.   Did those steps confirm it was accepted?

Hi, yes it says your 2020 federal return has been Accepted . Congratulations! the IRS has accepted this return and you're finished with your taxes.

@KnitW1t wrote:

Hi, yes it says your 2020 federal return has been Accepted . Congratulations! the IRS has accepted this return and you're finished with your taxes.

And I'll assume you did the rest of her suggestions to then save the file, etc.  The only additional thing I can think of is to close TurboTax.  Reboot your computer, then launch TurboTax and do a "check for updates."

Keep watching the thread a bit and see if anyone adds on.   If you continue to have the problem, and if no one comes up with another suggestion in this forum, you can phone TurboTax Support for realtime help with your issue.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Just thought of something.  You are trying to file state in the same exact file that federal was filed and accepted in?  Just checking.  And you have updated the program?  Even if you update you might need to update a couple times to catch everything.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies