turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gns529
Returning Member

I need someone to do my deceased father's taxes. Can someone from TurboTax call me?

My father was retired and I'm not sure what forms to use.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I need someone to do my deceased father's taxes. Can someone from TurboTax call me?

what needs to be done depends on the size and complexity of his Estate.

do you have copies of his previous years tax returns?

Sorry for your loss.   No one from the user forum can call you, nor can we schedule calls to users.   Not sure if you can even begin a new 2020 return at this point using the online Live software--I think it is closed down, but you could try it and see.  If you need live help with this return for your father then you might need to seek local paid help instead.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-get-turbotax-live/00/27305

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And....it is not clear whether you are asking about filing an individual return for your father or if you mean you need to file a return for his estate.  That would make a difference in which software to use.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Here are some basic rules.

1.  If your father had taxable income more than $12,400, he has to file a final tax return for the year he died.  The person who files that return is the person who is named executor or administrator of their estate.  It might or might not be you, and you may have to file a form with the probate court to be named administrator (even if it is a small estate that does not need formal probate, you might need to file some simple forms. 

This type of tax return is a normal form 1040 and can be prepared with any personal tax program you like, you just need to check a box that the person died, report all their taxable income and deductions the same way you would do your own return, and sign the return as the personal representative of the deceased.  It's very simple and if you have any problems at all, it would probably be in gathering the info, not filing the return.

2.  If your father has income after his death, that goes to his estate.  His estate is a separate legal entity from his person, and the estate has to file a different tax return.  So you might have to file both a final personal tax return and an estate tax return, depending on the situation.  (In some cases, an estate can go on for many years if the deceased is still earning income, like from book or music royalties.)

3. Turbotax has a "live" version that includes assistance from an accountant, but that is not available for the 2020 tax return.  It will be available starting in late January for 2021 tax returns.

For further help, we need to know the answers to a couple of questions.

• When did your father die?
  • Are you asking about a personal or an estate tax return?
  • Are you asking about 2020 or 2021?
  • Do you have access to his financial papers showing his income and deductions (social security statement, 1099-R from pensions and retirement accounts, etc.)?
gns529
Returning Member

@fanfare Hi. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone. I do have copies of my father's past tax returns. For some reason I can't find his 2019 tax return. I found his 2018 one, tho.

gns529
Returning Member

@xmasbaby0 Thank you so much for the condolences. Sorry for the late reply. I was so nervous when I posted this question that I didn't think to say that I was asking the community if someone from TurboTax could call me. The thing is....someone was supposed to call, but they never did. The woman on the phone told me that they're backed up. I understand that, but I need answers because all of this is VERY confusing to me.

I appreciate your help and info. 👍

gns529
Returning Member

@xmasbaby0 Hello again. That's what I wanted to ask the CPA at TurboTax because I'm not sure. This is what happened. My father used a local tax preparer for years. She did his 2019 tax returns already and I mailed them to the IRS. When my Dad died, I called her and told her and she asked me if I mailed the returns yet. I said yes and she cursed to herself and said, "It has to be done differently now." Anyway, I can't remember if she told me to call her again for help or not because I was going through so much at the time. I'm pretty sure she did, but whenever I called I had to leave messages because she never returned my calls. She basically abandoned me knowing that I have no idea how to do his taxes. 

gns529
Returning Member

@Opus 17 Hi. Thanks for the reply. I am the administrator of my dad's estate. I went through hell regarding that legal issue because of the courts being closed all that time and the crappy lawyer I had, but that's another story.

I think you may be right in that I'd have to file both a personal and estate tax return, but I'm still not sure. That's what I wanted to talk to TurboTax about. I have a feeling I'm going to have to contact the IRS about this instead. My father was retired when he died on May 8, 2020. So that's five months he was still getting his pension, Social Security, etc. I think he even got a stimulus check after he died, but I've been through so much that I can't even remember. 

gns529
Returning Member

Thank you to everyone who replied and tried to help. I'm so sorry about taking so long in my own reply as I've had another death in the family and I've been sick (not COVID). I hope you're all doing well and stay safe!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies