turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need extenstion to file my taxes from 2016

3 Replies
New Member

I need extenstion to file my taxes from 2016

An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, which are due April 18 (June 15 if you were out of the country on the deadline).

But even if you can't pay your taxes by the deadline, file an extension to avoid the late-filing penalty.

Here's how to e-file your IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online.
  2. Click My TurboTax at upper left, then choose Easy Extension.
    • Mobile devices: Tap the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then tap Easy Extension right under My TurboTax.
    • Don't see "My TurboTax"? Try searching for extend at upper right, then click or tap the "Jump to" link at the top of your search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your extension.

Note: If you're paying additional taxes owed with direct debit, you'll need to provide your 2015 AGI for verification purposes (if you didn't file a 2015 return, enter 0 as your AGI).

If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:

  1. Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension). Instructions
  2. Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before midnight April 18. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.

New Member

I need extenstion to file my taxes from 2016

TurboTax Delux told me where to mail the extension form but it refused to print it.  ABSURD.

I need extenstion to file my taxes from 2016

You can go here https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/ to file a federal extension for your 2016 return. Keep in mind, filing an extension gives you until October 16 to file, but it doesn't give you until October to pay your taxes, if you owe. Those are still due by midnight, April 18.

And you can find details here below for how to file an extension for your state. 

How do I file an extension for my state in Easy Extension?

Other Related Topics:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies