Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gdsl55

I need 2018 Home and business turbo tax to import my data from 2017 Home and business tax filing I did with turbo tax.

I filed home and business last year thru turbotax and I plan on doing it again but it did not transfer my 2017 info about the business to the 2018 home and business. What can I do to get it to transfer the information. There is sooo much, and I dont want to do it again.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I need 2018 Home and business turbo tax to import my data from 2017 Home and business tax filing I did with turbo tax.

When you open up the 2018 software, select ''New Tax Return'' or select it from the 'File' menu up top.   Click Start a new return and hit ''Continue''.  

On the next screen, TurboTax will search your computer for 2017 tax files, it may take a while for the return to show up (you may see a wheel spinning for a few minutes; just wait).  When you see your 2017 tax return, select Transfer Return, and TurboTax will transfer your information to the 2018 return.   

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Is your 2017 tax file saved to your computer?
khudzik123
Returning Member

I am using a different computer
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

When you open up the 2018 software, select ''New Tax Return'' or select it from the 'File' menu up top.   Click Start a new return and hit ''Continue''.  

On the next screen, TurboTax will search your computer for 2017 tax files, it may take a while for the return to show up (you may see a wheel spinning for a few minutes; just wait).  When you see your 2017 tax return, select Transfer Return, and TurboTax will transfer your information to the 2018 return.   

cormier
Returning Member

I have same problem.  Used Turbo Tax for several years.  Now it NOT import info on my Sch C business.  It will import other items, just not for the small biz.  I am on a new PC.  I moved the *.TAX2017 file over tot he new PC.  

Could you have transferred from the wrong file?  See if you have another .tax2017 file on your old computer.  Or maybe last year you marked the Schedule C as FINAL in Turbo Tax?

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2017 installed?  Try opening 2017 program and see if you can get your 2017 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  And see if your schedule C is in it and if it's marked as finally disposed.  Or any Assets were disposed or sold.

Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.  Then start a new 2018 return and transfer from the 2017 file.

That answer worked for this user - Thanks for the tip!  I did go back to the 2017 return and found a box checked that indicated the business on the sched C had been disposed of.  I unchecked the box, saved the 2017 file and re-imported.  All is good!  Thanks, again!

cormier wrote:

I have same problem.  Used Turbo Tax for several years.  Now it NOT import info on my Sch C business.  It will import other items, just not for the small biz.  I am on a new PC.  I moved the *.TAX2017 file over tot he new PC.  

So I assume you are preparing a 2018 return with desktop software (CD/download).   That's odd for it not to transfer Schedule C information present in your *.tax2017 data file into your 2018 return, while transferring everything else.    Did you read all of this thread for other suggestions?     As VolvoGirl mentioned above, are you sure that's the correct 2017 file, and that the 2017 Sched C was not marked as "final" or "disposed of?"

Try her suggestions above.

If you continue to have problems, post back here, or phone TurboTax Support during business hours so they can question you in realtime and assist. 

You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies