Klryan2007

I moved to MT from HI last July, my employer based in HI withhold only HI Income Tax, my W2 only shows HI. How do I file?

I filed the Partial Year / Non-Residency form in Hawaii, and corresponding forms in Montana.  MT accepted my return, Hawaii rejected it and stated my employer must update my W2 or I owe all liability to Hawaii.  Other employees at my company are in the same situation but are not having their returns rejected.  I fear if I merely accept the loss of my return and pay the newly appointed tax liability Hawaii has told me I owe that next year I will be in the same situation that I am not a resident but paying as if I am a resident basically in two states.
Carl

I filed the Partial Year / Non-Residency form in Hawaii,

The above statement is contradictory and makes me think you checked the box on the N-15 for non-resident.  If you were a HI resident the first part of the year, then you should have filed a part-year residence return with HI - not a non-resident return. In other words, on the N-15 you should have checked the box for part year resident; not the box for non-resident.

I can't speak for MT forms, because I'm not at all familiar with them.

Klryan2007

I'm probably just not being clear I admit I'm no expert.  To clarify my N-15 IS checked part year resident.  The state rejected my filing and stated my W2 must be updated to reflect apportionment between the two states.  My employer does not agree, nor does the Payroll company agree with the states request.  I filed the appropriate Montana forms for part year resident. I'm not worried about Montana I've had it reviewed locally and it is correct.  Hawaii is my problem.  Sorry for being unclear.

Carl

The state rejected my filing and stated my W2 must be updated to reflect apportionment between the two states.

While I am familiar with HI state taxes, I'm not all that up on dealing with two states. But for HI, I assume you are submitting via e-file and the HI state computers are rejecting it. In other words, it's not a letter you got from the HI dept of taxation or anything like that.

One thing I don't know yet, is details concerning the W-2. I would expect you have either 1 W-2 from your HI employer from the time you worked in HI< and another W-2 from the MT employer from the time you worked in MT.

One other W-2 possibility is that you have 1 W-2 that shows two states in boxes 15-16 and 17.

So which do you have? Or is it something totally different?

Klryan2007

Same employer, domiciled in Hawaii does no business in any other state. W2 reflects Hawaii Taxes withheld only, and I only received 1 W2.