turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What can I do if I have not received my W2 from a previous employer?

I worked for a daycare. I went to the director and asked her. She said "It hasn't came back to us yet." She also verified that they had the correct address. She said the owners will not print a new W2 for me until March. What can I do? I need my refund ASAP!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Contact your employer’s payroll provider.  Did they use a service for preparing your wage statements?  Info can often be found on your wage statement.  That is the first contact.  If the employer is no longer in business or you can not reach someone:

Call the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When calling, be ready to give the following information: 
  • Your name, address and Social Security number.
  • Your employer's name, address, city, state, zip code and telephone number, even if your employer has gone out of business.
  • Dates of employment.
  • An estimate of the wages you earned and the federal income tax withheld. Your estimate should be based on your final pay stub of the year or earnings statement, if available.

The IRS will call the employer or payroll provider and advise them to send you your W-2s.

2. Request or download Form 4506-T. You will receive W-2 transcripts which will have information reported by your employer to the IRS free of charge.  Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July (you can file for an extension in the meantime based on estimates, just make sure to pay any taxes by 4/15 so you will not be fined). This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.You may register to use Get Transcript Online to view, print, or download all transcript types listed below. 

If you're unable to register or you prefer not to use Get Transcript Online, you may order a tax return transcript and/or a tax account transcript using Get Transcript by Mail or call 800-908-9946. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days for delivery.

You may also request any transcript type listed below by faxing/mailing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return as instructed on the form.

OR 3. If you still want to file:  TT will help you fill out a substitute w-2.  You will need your last paystub.

How to fill out a substitute W-2 (Form 4852)

If you can't get your W-2 before the tax deadline, you can still file using Form 4852 (also known as a substitute W-2).

Note: If you use a substitute W-2, be sure to keep a copy for your records, just like you would a W-2.

Here's how to fill out Form 4852:

1. Visit the W-2 area of TurboTax and choose "Work on my W-2 now."

2. Enter the employer ID Number (EIN) if you know it. Leave it blank if you don't.

3. When we ask for your W-2 info, enter all the info that should be on your W-2 if you had actually received it. You can use your pay stubs to estimate your earnings and total taxes paid (federal, state and local). Because you don't have your actual W-2, you just need to use the best information you have available (pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) to fill out as much of the Form as possible. 

4. After you're done filling out your W-2 info, you will get to "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" Select the checkbox "Substitute form -- I didn't receive a W-2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form."

5. Then we will ask you to confirm you want to complete form 4852. Select Yes if you are ready.

6. Next write out an explanation of how you figured out your wages and taxes paid (i.e. I used my last pay stub or my most recent bank statement).

7. Then describe the steps you took when you tried to get your W-2 from your employed, like I called my employer on (insert date).

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Trouble filing and missing one W2
ilhetalia

thats when you start calling them non stop. I did that with Norre last year or the year before

This is very old thread. If you have a current question please start your own new thread.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
reygip

Contact the former employer's human resource department.

Currently trying to get my W2 from a previous employer what can i do if they wont answer
maglib
Level 11

see below answer....  it has every detail imaginable including how to create substitute one in TT based on information from your last pay statement.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
love1

Hi ny name Ms Scot I work on another Job how can I get my w2 from that Job it is Team first Inc they mail it but to my address but I m not on the mail box I share a room in a lady apartment so that her mail box but my mail come here so they mail my w2 but didnt put the apt number
love1

I mean ms Scott
love1

Hi my name is ns scott I work another Job I try to summary ny w2 form online from team first Inc afterschoo program

I haven't received my w2 from my previous employer

Call the employer.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
d1039388

Hi my name is Maribel Martinez i haven't received my W2 form taxed
JesseM1

Hello xxtexasxxsweethe, Employers are required to send W-2s to employees by January 31. Your W-2 form reports your year's wages and the taxes withheld, and is also sent to the IRS. Your last paystub is NOT the same thing as your W-2. More info What if my employer did not give me a W-2? The IRS suggests allowing up to two weeks for mailed forms to reach you, so you may not receive your form until February 14th. While you are waiting, you can... Ask your employer if and when the form was mailed. Check to make sure your employer has your correct mailing address. Verify the spelling and street abbreviation to make sure that your W-2 wasn't misdelivered. Request another copy. Ask your employer if you have the option to import your W-2 information. If they have made imports available, they will give you the information required to import your W-2.   TurboTax will guide you through importing.  Once you receive your W-2, always make sure that everything on your W-2 matches what you imported into TurboTax.  If your employer sends a W-2C after you import your W-2, make sure you change the imported W-2 information to the "corrected information" column on your W-2C. You can change the information directly in TurboTax.   If it's past February 14 and you still don't have your W-2: 1. Call the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When calling, be ready to give the following information:  Your name, address and Social Security number. Your employer's name, address, city, state, zip code and telephone number, even if your employer has gone out of business. Dates of employment. An estimate of the wages you earned and the federal income tax withheld. Your estimate should be based on your final pay stub of the year or earnings statement, if available.     The IRS will call the employer and advise them to send you your W-2s. 2. Request or download Form 4506-T. You will receive W-2 transcripts which will have information reported by your employer to the IRS free of charge. Call (800)829-1040 to obtain the form. 3. Request Form 4852 from the IRS or download it and mail it in.  Form 4852 is a substitute W-2. You are allowed to estimate your wages based on your final paystub. TurboTax can guide you through filling out Form 4852. If you do file your taxes using Form 4852, you will have to amend your return once you receive your W-2 or W-2C if amounts on the forms are different from the filed Form 4852.   You can find more information here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901028-missing-your-w-2-form-corrected-w-2s-and-multiple-w-2s">ht...>   I hope this helps - Jesse M
maglib
Level 11
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Contact your employer’s payroll provider.  Did they use a service for preparing your wage statements?  Info can often be found on your wage statement.  That is the first contact.  If the employer is no longer in business or you can not reach someone:

Call the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When calling, be ready to give the following information: 
  • Your name, address and Social Security number.
  • Your employer's name, address, city, state, zip code and telephone number, even if your employer has gone out of business.
  • Dates of employment.
  • An estimate of the wages you earned and the federal income tax withheld. Your estimate should be based on your final pay stub of the year or earnings statement, if available.

The IRS will call the employer or payroll provider and advise them to send you your W-2s.

2. Request or download Form 4506-T. You will receive W-2 transcripts which will have information reported by your employer to the IRS free of charge.  Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July (you can file for an extension in the meantime based on estimates, just make sure to pay any taxes by 4/15 so you will not be fined). This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.You may register to use Get Transcript Online to view, print, or download all transcript types listed below. 

If you're unable to register or you prefer not to use Get Transcript Online, you may order a tax return transcript and/or a tax account transcript using Get Transcript by Mail or call 800-908-9946. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days for delivery.

You may also request any transcript type listed below by faxing/mailing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return as instructed on the form.

OR 3. If you still want to file:  TT will help you fill out a substitute w-2.  You will need your last paystub.

How to fill out a substitute W-2 (Form 4852)

If you can't get your W-2 before the tax deadline, you can still file using Form 4852 (also known as a substitute W-2).

Note: If you use a substitute W-2, be sure to keep a copy for your records, just like you would a W-2.

Here's how to fill out Form 4852:

1. Visit the W-2 area of TurboTax and choose "Work on my W-2 now."

2. Enter the employer ID Number (EIN) if you know it. Leave it blank if you don't.

3. When we ask for your W-2 info, enter all the info that should be on your W-2 if you had actually received it. You can use your pay stubs to estimate your earnings and total taxes paid (federal, state and local). Because you don't have your actual W-2, you just need to use the best information you have available (pay stubs, bank statements, etc.) to fill out as much of the Form as possible. 

4. After you're done filling out your W-2 info, you will get to "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?" Select the checkbox "Substitute form -- I didn't receive a W-2 from my employer and need to complete a substitute form."

5. Then we will ask you to confirm you want to complete form 4852. Select Yes if you are ready.

6. Next write out an explanation of how you figured out your wages and taxes paid (i.e. I used my last pay stub or my most recent bank statement).

7. Then describe the steps you took when you tried to get your W-2 from your employed, like I called my employer on (insert date).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies