Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I’m using my last paycheck to file my taxes can you help me?

2 Replies
Level 15

I’m using my last paycheck to file my taxes can you help me?

No because that is a bad idea.




Please do not try to use your pay stub to prepare your tax return.  It will not match the W-2 that you will get from your employer in just a few short weeks.  Your employer has until the end of January to give you your W-2.  By waiting for your W-2 you will be able to file accurately.  If you try to guess what goes in the W-2 “boxes” and mess up your return, you will need to amend.  It takes about 4 months to amend a tax return.  The IRS will not be accepting 2019 returns until the end of January —  so you can wait for your W-2.  If you are hoping to get a quick tax refund by filing early, using your pay stub might have the opposite result.  Your tax return will not match the W-2 reported to the IRS by your employer; this may result in rejection of your return — or if accepted, could actually delay your refund for months.  And, if you are hoping to get EIC or the refundable amount of the child tax credit, your refund will not be released until late February anyhow.  It is much wiser to wait for your W-2 and file correctly.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

I’m using my last paycheck to file my taxes can you help me?

No Wait for the W2.  The IRS won't start taking returns until January 27, 2020. So your return will just sit at Turbo Tax until then and you can't get it back if you need to make changes.

If you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects most EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by the first week of March, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

And don't file early!  Last year (for 2018) the IRS put out some late changes and some early filers got tax due notices after they got their refund.  Also if you file in an early batch they get stuck in processing and might even take longer to get your refund.  

And You should wait because you might get a late W2 or 1099 in the mail.  They have until Jan 31 to send you the tax forms.  Or they may send you a corrected W2 or 1099 even later.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies